integration testing tools? story runner, rbehave, cucumber?

Gernot Hassenpflug

Dear all,

I joined a pretty young VC company a month ago. We are using
ruby/merb/datamapper/MySQL, and doing agile development. We use rspec
for unit tests. Now we want to start writing integration tests. For this
I found out the existence of rbehave (Dan North et al.) and Story Runner
(David Chelimsky). I also discovered cucumber as a successor to Story
Runner. But I can find very little on rbehave, and its development seems
to have stopped in 2006. Is there any concensus on the best tools for
integration testing in ruby?

Best regards, Gernot Hassenpflug
Cirius Technologies, Tokyo, Japan

Trans

Dear all,

I joined a pretty young VC company a month ago. We are using
ruby/merb/datamapper/MySQL, and doing agile development. We use rspec
for unit tests. Now we want to start writing integration tests. For this
I found out the existence of rbehave (Dan North et al.) and Story Runner
(David Chelimsky). I also discovered cucumber as a successor to Story
Runner. But I can find very little on rbehave, and its development seems
to have stopped in 2006. Is there any concensus on the best tools for
integration testing in ruby?

"A few days ago, David Chelimsky announced that RSpec's Story Runner
now works with the rspec_on_rails plugin. Story Runner is the result
of Dan North's hard work to merge his rbehave project into RSpec. This
gives us the ability to write acceptance tests using RSpec's
expressive expectations. In addition, Story Runner provides a
structure for your stories (acceptance tests) that helps clearly
express the assumptions and expectations of your code."

See: http://evang.eli.st/blog/2007/9/1/user-stories-with-rspec-s-story-runn=
er

I must say though, reading over all this stuff, I think you all are
suffering from an over abundance of time and brain cells --K.I.S.S.
seems to have become old-fashioned.

T.