Intellisense with web.config registration of controls

Guest

We are working on a large project and using a number of the new asp.net 2.0
features a number of third party controls.
One such feature is the global registration of controls in the web.config,
such as:

<pages>
<controls>
<add namespace="Project.WebControls" assembly="Project.Net2"
tagPrefix="ccA"/>
</controls>
</pages>

This works nicely and means we do not have to add the directive to each
page, however it does mean that the intellisense in Visual Studio 2005 does
not work when editing the markup for the controls.

Do you know of anything to overcome this so intellisense will work (as it
does if the register on the page directly)?

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi Shaun,

I just tested this feature using a simple class library and web site, and
it works correctly.

Are you using web.config in sub-folder of your web site? If so, then due bo
current Visual Studio IDE limitation, only web.config in root folder is
used during design time.

Also, you will need to compile the assembly contains custom control first
if you're referencing the project in your solution.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to post here if anything is unclear.

Sincerely,
Microsoft Online Community Support

ications.

Guest

We have a single root project and a number of sub projects under this. I
understand that the sub projects may not allow this, but I am not seeing it
work in the root project - I have seen it work when I've got a single web
project (as a test I did this and it works OK).

I've looked for differences, but just cannot see why this would be happening.

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi Shaun,

Thank you for your update.

I understand that you've tested a single web project and it works. However,
I don't quite understand what do you mean by "a single root project and a
number of sub projects under this". Would you please depict more on this?
Or better, could you reproduce the issue by creating a simpler solution and
send it to me? Thank you for your understanding and effort.

Have a nice day!

Regards,
Microsoft Online Community Support

Guest

Hi Walter,

When I say we have nested web projects I am talking about having them setup
as per the MSDN article by Scott Guthrie -
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnaspp/html/IISwithVS2005.asp

My last post on this thread outlines how things are setup (I had a VSS
problem too!):
http://msdn.microsoft.com/newsgroup...44e4&mid=0d994991-bfa1-4088-89fa-c7dd5d9c2d3e

Our solution is getting quite large now and not something that is easily
reproduced - and I know the powers that be will not let me send the whole
thing.

If I have the register at the top of a page it works fine, but without this
it does not work - in any page of any project (not just the nested projects).

I've tested with a single project with controls registered globally in the
web.config and it worked ok, just not in our solution we are working on!?

Other developers also see the same thing and cannot work out why either.

Quite a pain, but we can throw the register tags in during development -
just a pain to have to do so (and remember to remove them later for neatness).

Shaun

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi Shaun,

I've read your post about VSS issue and learned your detailed directory
structure.

I've also done a test using sub-projects as described by Scott Guthrie's
article, but other than I have to build the website first after I added
reference to the control assembly, the intellisense works correctly in
webform. So I think it's not related to the sub-projects.

I've also tried to remove the control library from solution and reference
the binary assembly directly, it also works.

I suggest we use divide-and-conquer technique to track down this issue:
1) First, create a fresh copy of your solution and remove the VSS
connection;
2) Try to remove some parts of your solution/project at a time and verify
whether or not it works.

In this way, we may be able to track down to a fair small solution/project
files so that we may further inspect what went wrong.

I'm afraid that's what I can do in newsgroup so far since this issue is not
reproducible on my side. I'm looking forward to your findings.

Best wishes on your wedding day! Wishing you every happiness as you begin
your life together!

Regards,
Microsoft Online Community Support