interactive web graphics

Eckhoff, Michael A

Hello,

I failed to locate a list for pygtk, so I thought I'd
ask my question here. Is it possible to write CGI
scripts that bring up a GUI (as in GTK+, QT, Tk, ...)
or an openGL display that is windowed inside a web
browser?

The answer would seem to me to be no, since the
client could be Windows or Linux. I'd like to
display some pretty graphics (scientific visualisation),
but web applications are not my background.

I would like a form with progress bars, but I guess
that would have to be implemented in some special way.
Sorry if these questions are ill-posed; I am just
getting my feet wet with python.

Thanks,
Michael E

PS Congratulations for having such wonderful documentation
on all things python.

Larry Bates

Web application are different than local or client
server applications. Web browser can connect to a
server and make a request, but the program that
satisfies the request runs to completion and disconnects
from the client. You cannot easily do interactive-type
applications. Things like progress bars can't really
even be done. You can have your applications create
graphs, charts, etc. and deliver them back to the user
either as web pages or as PDF files. There is a python
toolkit called ReportLab that provides a framework to
do this from python programs that run on the server.
The ReportLab graphics can do barcharts, line charts,
scatter plots, etc. and you can either save as .JPG
files that can be delivered on a web page or as a .PDF
file that the user can download. Hard to say which
would work best for you.

Hope information helps a little.

-Larry Bates

Diez B. Roggisch

I would like a form with progress bars, but I guess
that would have to be implemented in some special way.
Sorry if these questions are ill-posed; I am just
getting my feet wet with python.

Larry already said some true things about this. Let me just add that what
you are after _might_ be done using macromedia flash - as that is a
wide-spread browser plugin with interactive and multimedia capabilities.
But how to do it in flash I've no idea - after all I'm a pythoneer.

Alternatively, SVG might be an option - but I'm not sure if its mature and
powerful enough.

Maksim Kasimov

java are also wide-spread browser plugin with interactive and multimedia
capabilities,
and java-applets can be written with python (jython)

Fuzzyman

Hello Michael,

Hello,

I failed to locate a list for pygtk, so I thought I'd
ask my question here. Is it possible to write CGI
scripts that bring up a GUI (as in GTK+, QT, Tk, ...)
or an openGL display that is windowed inside a web
browser?

The answer would seem to me to be no, since the
client could be Windows or Linux. I'd like to
display some pretty graphics (scientific visualisation),
but web applications are not my background.

I would like a form with progress bars, but I guess
that would have to be implemented in some special way.
Sorry if these questions are ill-posed; I am just
getting my feet wet with python.

There is a simpler, but still non-trivial, way of adding server-client
interactivity - using javascript. If you are just moving square bars
around you could use the javascript XML http request functions and
dynamically change the images (including using PIL - and maybe some of
the graph generating stuff from 'pythonweb' web modules - to
dynamically generate images server side).

Best Regards,

Fuzzy
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python

Lee Harr

Hello,

I failed to locate a list for pygtk, so I thought I'd
ask my question here. Is it possible to write CGI
scripts that bring up a GUI (as in GTK+, QT, Tk, ...)
or an openGL display that is windowed inside a web
browser?

How about the blender web plugin?
http://www.blender.org/modules/bc2002/plugin.html

I am not sure the plugin has been updated to match
recent blender releases, but recent blenders offer
python scripting. Could be interesting anyhow.