Interest in Open Source project?

Michel Bergijk

Hello all,

After a few years of not working with Java, but keeping track with
developments, I want to start brushing up my programming skills. I was
thinking about a project where a webserver application needs to be
developed.
Are there any takers?
Should I invest my time in an Apache or Sourceforge project? Which one?

== General plan ==
Webserver application
Target platform: Apache/Jacarta/Tomcat

== Description ==
A webserver application where other modules can be plugged into. These
modules need to be developed so the webserver application can be used
for specific situations. IMO this means that the interfaces to the outer
world need to be standardised.

== Possible modules ==
To a RDBMS (backend system)
To a Bluetooth/Midlet application (frontend system)

== General goal ==
Learning to work with the Java programming language
Offering an project environment where you can learn about:
- coding in Java
- working within an project
- experiencing all facets of a development project (requirements
engineering, designing, coding, versioning, testing, etc)

== Target audience ==
- Project leaders
- Sofware engineers
- Testers
- Webdesigners
- Webmasters
- ...

Initially we could use my webpage as development focus. With enough
interest I will add a forum.

Let me hear what you think about this idea. I am open for any comment.
--
---------------------------
With regards,

Andrew Thompson

Michel said:
...I am open for any comment.

Well, you got *part* of what I suggested on this other thread..
<http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.java.help/msg/154ec196d120a27b>
(You forgot to mention this was a 're/multi-post!)

Thomas' suggestion to x-post the original thread to here
was also an interesting idea, but given you altered the text,
it may not have made that much sense in this instance.

(Good luck with the project, BTW. An open source project,
whether you create one or simply join as a contributor,
is a great way to learn.)

David N. Welton

Michel said:
Hello all,

After a few years of not working with Java, but keeping track with
developments, I want to start brushing up my programming skills. I was
thinking about a project where a webserver application needs to be
developed.
Are there any takers?
Should I invest my time in an Apache or Sourceforge project? Which one?

== General plan ==
Webserver application
Target platform: Apache/Jacarta/Tomcat

I would love to extend Hecl (http://www.hecl.org) to deal with web pages
via servlets. It's on my short range todo list, but if someone wanted
to work on that... it would be great! Hecl itself is young and
evolving, so there's lots of room there to play, anywhere from j2me cell
phones to... who knows what:)

--
David N. Welton
- http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/