Internal ASP.Net error bubbling events

Guest

I have an application that, on my development PC and in production, throws
unexpected null reference exceptions when returning from the click event
handler of a button. The only fix is to do an IISReset or to reboot the
server. This is obviously not acceptable in production.

The call stack shows non-user code, and my code works most of the time, so I
have to assume it is internal to ASP.Net. The exception never occurs in the
hander, only upon exiting the handler. The only way to catch the exception
is in the Application_Error method in Global.asax.

The stack trace is:

StackTrace: " at System.Web.UI.Control.OnBubbleEvent(Object source,
EventArgs args) at System.Web.UI.Control.RaiseBubbleEvent(Object source,
EventArgs args) at
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnCommand(CommandEventArgs e) at
eventArgument) at System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler
sourceControl, String eventArgument) at
System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) at
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain()"

Thanks

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Dale,

Welcome to the ASP.NET newsgroup.

As for the problem you mentioned, it does like something incorrect in the
ASP.NET runtime's event processing. However, I still think it we should
isolate the problem to see whether it is page or environment specific.
Since you mentioned that the problem can be catched through the
Application_Error event, can you also catch it through the page's
Page_Error event?

Also, it'll be better if you can use a simplified page (or in a new created
project) to reproduce this behavior. That can let us concencrate on
isolated code logic.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Community Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Guest

Thank you, those are both excellent suggestions. Unfortunately, the problem
is very intermittent and not reproducable at will. I will prepare the code
for a test and when it occurs again, I will attempt to test those suggestions.

Thanks,

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your response Dale,

Glad to be of assistance. If there is any new update, please feel free to
post here.

Good luck!