Internet Explorer Java Failure

Roedy Green

I flipped over to JDK 1.4.2_04 and Internet Explorer stopped being
able to run Applets.

IE complains that it can't find the java runtime in
\bin\hotspot\jvm.dll

It is looking in the wrong place. The JVM lives in
C:\j2sdk1.4.2_04\jre\bin\client\jvm.dll

Is there anything I can to to clear its pea brain?

I could not find the string "hotspot" in the registry anywhere.

Do I have to humour it by putting a copy where it is looking?

JScoobyCed

Roedy Green said:
I flipped over to JDK 1.4.2_04 and Internet Explorer stopped being
able to run Applets.

IE complains that it can't find the java runtime in
\bin\hotspot\jvm.dll

I don't have this problem:
Windows 2000 Professional + SP4
Internet Explorer 6 SP1+
JDK 1.4.2_04

JScoobyCed
-------------

Roedy Green

I don't have this problem:
Windows 2000 Professional + SP4
Internet Explorer 6 SP1+
JDK 1.4.2_04

does anyone know the registry entry by which IE finds Java? Perhaps
that is hosed in my machine. You'd think the JDK install would fix it
if it were.

Dave Miller

does anyone know the registry entry by which IE finds Java? Perhaps
that is hosed in my machine. You'd think the JDK install would fix it
if it were.

It might if it were a decent install package - apparently it is not. The
only workaround that I have come up with is to uninstall / reboot /
reinstall *to a different directory* which seems to rewrite the registry
key. (If you reinstall to the same directory it does not).

If you find the registry key elsewhere - please post it.

HTH

Roedy Green

It might if it were a decent install package - apparently it is not. The
only workaround that I have come up with is to uninstall / reboot /
reinstall *to a different directory* which seems to rewrite the registry
key. (If you reinstall to the same directory it does not).

If you find the registry key elsewhere - please post it.

I tried your technique. No joy. However, I did in the process
discover something that DOES work. Go into the Java control panel.
Turn IE off, hit apply, then turn it on again.

I used to have a tool from Norton that would let you know what keys
recently changed in the registry. I suppose now that the control
panel works you could figure it out with something that could compare
the unicode dumps of the registry before and after.

JScoobyCed

Note sure that's what you are looking for, but I found jvm.dll on
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment\1.4
and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment\1.4.2_04

JScoobyCed
-------------

Mickey Segal

Roedy Green said:
I flipped over to JDK 1.4.2_04 and Internet Explorer stopped
being able to run Applets.

Had you tried to apply the broken "MS JVM removal tool"? As chronicled in
the recent thread "Make the MS JVM safe" and
http://www.physci.org/jvmclean.jsp this could break the ability of Internet
Explorer to run applets with the Sun JVM.

Thomas Weidenfeller

Roedy said:
I used to have a tool from Norton that would let you know what keys
recently changed in the registry. I suppose now that the control
panel works you could figure it out with something that could compare
the unicode dumps of the registry before and after.

Or you could live-monitor and capture the changes with the free registry
monitor from sysinternals:

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/regmon.shtml

/Thomas

Roedy Green

Note sure that's what you are looking for, but I found jvm.dll on
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment\1.4
and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment\1.4.2_04

I found those, and they were correct even when IE was not working
properly. There may be some indirect key to them that IE has.

Roedy Green

Had you tried to apply the broken "MS JVM removal tool"? As chronicled in
the recent thread "Make the MS JVM safe" and
http://www.physci.org/jvmclean.jsp this could break the ability of Internet
Explorer to run applets with the Sun JVM.

No the problem came most likely in manually trying to clean the
registry of all reference to Java in an attempt to get a clean
install. I took out too much.

Some one could do the earth a great favour by writing a little sanity
checker in C that just looked at all the registry entries for Java,
and either complained, fixed, or asked questions and fixed.

It would search the disk for JREs and JDKs, ask which ones you wanted
to keep, and hook them up, and get rid any dangling references.

If the registry goes, end users are almost helpless to repair the
problem. The only sure way is to format the disk and start over.

Mickey Segal

Roedy Green said:
No the problem came most likely in manually trying to clean the
registry of all reference to Java in an attempt to get a clean
install. I took out too much.

It sounds like Microsoft made a similar mistake in their MS JVM removal
tool. Because of the Sun/Microsoft settlement there is no need for
Microsoft to issue a new versuion of the tool, but it would be good if they
could release some fix for those whose Java got hosed. I'm not sure how one
would find such a fix if it existed.
Some one could do the earth a great favour by writing a little sanity
checker in C that just looked at all the registry entries for Java,
and either complained, fixed, or asked questions and fixed.

It would search the disk for JREs and JDKs, ask which ones you wanted
to keep, and hook them up, and get rid any dangling references.

This should be project #1 for the Sun/Microsoft cooperation, getting
everyone up and running again. Ideally any install of either the Sun or
Microsoft JVM would do this.

stacy_friedman

Roedy Green said:
I flipped over to JDK 1.4.2_04 and Internet Explorer stopped being
able to run Applets.

IE complains that it can't find the java runtime in
\bin\hotspot\jvm.dll

I had the same problem with Mozilla 1.6 on XP Pro. The exact text of
the error message was:

"The Java Runtime Environment cannot be loaded from
<\bin\hotspot\jvm.dll>"

In HKLM/SOFTWARE/JavaSoft/Java Plug-in, I have an entry for 1.4.2_04.
Within, the JavaHome key was set to the JRE installed in C:\Program
Files\Java\j4re1.4.2_04.

I changed that entry to the JRE underneath my SDK installation (on my
drive, C:\java\j2sdk1.4.2_04\jre) and now my browser runs applets
again.

Note: There is also a registry entry next to Java Plug-in for Java
Runtime Environment -- two of them, 1.4 and 1.4.2_04. Both of these
assign JavaHome to the same JRE in the Program Files directory. I
haven't changed these to point to the JRE underneath my SDK install,
but I might if things don't work later.

BTW, I did all this registry mucking after Eclipse was installed.
Eclipse still works, so I haven't broken things too badly.

Roedy Green

"The Java Runtime Environment cannot be loaded from
<\bin\hotspot\jvm.dll>"

I got that one and also messages referring to the uninstalled 1.5. I
scanned the registry. there was nothing there that could account for
it.

So I scanned the hard disk to see where these references were hiding.

I discovered them in deployment.properties.

To make a long story short, I discovered I could just delete that
file, and go into the Java Control panel and hit reset and redo the
set up and all was ok again.

I have written a little essay on recovering from failed installs at
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jdk.html#FAILED

Perhaps now someone might invent a C program that can clean up
automatically after a failed install. You can't write it in Java,
because at that time, Java is not working. You could write it in
Java, if you compiled it to standalone with Jet though.

Roughly what it would do is scan the entire hard disk for JRE's and
JDK's check them for reasonable completeness, and ask "which ones do
you want to keep?" It would then erase the ones you did not want, and
hook the ones you did in the registry, delete deployment.properties,
and tell you to run the Java Control Panel.

I don't yet know what program the Java control Panel is, or how that
hooks in. It too should be correct.

Steven J Sobol

Roedy Green said:
does anyone know the registry entry by which IE finds Java? Perhaps
that is hosed in my machine. You'd think the JDK install would fix it
if it were.

Take a look at:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\JAVA_SUN

and the SELECT subkey (check both the JAVA_SUN key and the SELECT key; I
saw pointers to the JVM in both).

I'm using IE6 on Windows XP Home SP1.

Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) / (e-mail address removed)