    it comes up in Firefox. Meanwhile the Windows 7 version of IE does not
    seem to have file menus. How can I get a file up with IE to check that
    it works with both?

    Martin Edwards, Mar 10, 2011

  2. Html says "Welcome back!"
    Great! But I hope you have new enough version - should be 3.6 now. Well,
    3.6.15 to be exact.
    Sufficiently new versions of IE have hidden the main menu by default - such
    minimalism has been fashionable in browsers for some time. You can turn it
    visible by pressing the Alt key. I mean a normal keypress (down and up), not
    just keeping it pressed down. Then pressing Alt key again hides the menu
    again, i.e. it's a toggle. There's a command for making the menu always
    visible, but it's in the command menus... :) (View > Toolbars > Menu
    toolbar, or something like that - I'm just back-translating, as my IE is in
    Finnish)

    Jukka K. Korpela, Mar 10, 2011

  3. | I have come back to html after a long break. If I double click a file
    | it comes up in Firefox. Meanwhile the Windows 7 version of IE does not
    | seem to have file menus. How can I get a file up with IE to check that
    | it works with both?

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/support/faq.aspx

    "To maximize website viewing, the File menu may be hidden by default. Most
    menu options can be accessed from the toolbar. You can make the Menu Bar
    (File, Edit, View, Etc.) appear by clicking the Tools menu, located near
    the upper right of the screen, and then Toolbars and then Menu Bar."

    Then File/ Open/ ...

    David Postill, Mar 10, 2011
  4. Martin Edwards

    123Jim Guest

    There's also the Firefox add-on called 'IE view' which adds a 'view this
    page in IE' option to the on the context menu. (right click on webpage)

    123Jim, Mar 10, 2011
  5. Martin Edwards

    Doug Miller Guest

    Close enough. The English version is View > Toolbars > Menu Bar.

    Doug Miller, Mar 10, 2011
  6. Yes, as it does in all browsers EXCEPT Opera... (just one of the things
    that I do not like about Opera)

    Also to OP, you can right-click the HTML file and select "Open with"*
    some installed toolbars and addons sometimes mess this up.

    Jonathan N. Little, Mar 10, 2011
  7. Martin Edwards

    dorayme Guest

    It does in *Mac* Opera. Both url or the file itself (icon or
    name) drag and drop onto main body of browser.

    dorayme, Mar 10, 2011
  8. A url shortcut from the desktop, yes; url dragged from another browser's
    address bar or a link from another browser, then no. It is the only
    browser that won't.

    Jonathan N. Little, Mar 10, 2011
  9. Martin Edwards

    dorayme Guest

    A url dragged from another Mac browser's address bar opens in Mac
    Opera.

    dorayme, Mar 11, 2011
  10. Thanks to all who replied.

    Martin Edwards, Mar 11, 2011
  11. Well they dropped the ball in Windows.

    Jonathan N. Little, Mar 11, 2011
  12. Martin Edwards

    Stubbo of Oz Guest

    I have Opera 10.62 in Windows 7 and it works for me.

    Stubbo of Oz, Mar 11, 2011
  13. Martin Edwards

    Stubbo of Oz Guest

    Thanks for the info on IE View - just installed it and it is great!

    Stubbo of Oz, Mar 11, 2011
  14. Martin Edwards

    Stubbo of Oz Guest

    Sorry - didn't see your 2nd post before I sent this - your right - it
    doesn't work when dragging from anothe browser address bar.

    Stubbo of Oz, Mar 11, 2011
  15. I used alt. I'll keep it that way.

    Martin Edwards, Mar 12, 2011
  16. Or a link within the page in another browser...

    Jonathan N. Little, Mar 13, 2011