iptcinfo: Can not import: Newbie not really knowing what he is doing

mcl

My Code

`import os
from PIL import Image
from iptcinfo import IPTCInfo
info = IPTCInfo('test.jpg')
print info.keywords, info.supplementalCategories, info.contacts
caption = info.data['caption/abstract']
print caption`

running Win XP SP3

I get the message

No module: iptcinfo

I have downloaded iptcinfo and placed it in python27\Lib\site-packages
\iptcinfo

I guessed that was the right place, because that is where PIL ended
up, but that had a fancy installer with it.

As you will appreciate, I am very much an amateur in all this. I can
code a bit of python, but where everything goes and links is a
complete mystery. All I want is to write a quick script which
extracts the Caption field from a directory of JPEGS. I get the
filenames and the dimensions with PIL, but I need IPTCinfo to get at
the Caption field.

If anyone can throw any light on what I need to do or which stupid
mistake I have made, I would be most grateful.

Richard

Nick Raptis

Hi Richard!
I have downloaded iptcinfo and placed it in python27\Lib\site-packages
\iptcinfo

I guessed that was the right place, because that is where PIL ended
up, but that had a fancy installer with it.
You did place it in the right path, but the "fancy installer" does one
more thing, it registers the package into the python-path, so python can
get to it.
I've long switched from windows unfortunately and can't remember the way
it does this though, so you can do it manually.

Have some good news though: I looked in the IPTCinfo package and it does
indeed include a setup.py, which is a standard way of installing python
packages.
All you need to do is unpack the package to any folder and run
setup.py install
from that folder, which should take care of everything for you.

Some documentation on installing packages for you to read:
http://docs.python.org/install/

Nick

mcl

Hi Richard!> I have downloaded iptcinfo and placed it in python27\Lib\site-packages

You did place it in the right path, but the "fancy installer" does one
more thing, it registers the package into the python-path, so python can
get to it.
I've long switched from windows unfortunately and can't remember the way
it does this though, so you can do it manually.

Have some good news though: I looked in the IPTCinfo package and it does
indeed include a setup.py, which is a standard way of installing python
packages.
All you need to do is unpack the package to any folder and run
setup.py install
from that folder, which should take care of everything for you.

Some documentation on installing packages for you to read:http://docs.python.org/install/

Nick

What a star. It is all now working.

I will try to look at the reference you mentioned, but at the moment I
can not even figure out why 'python' on its own does not work. I
would have thought the installation would have set the appropriate
environment variables, but it does not seem to have. I have to give
the full path name to python.exe. Just remembered SET at DOS prompt,
but no mention of PYTHON anywhere.

Thank you very much again - I now have a list of all my JPEGS and
their CAPTIONS.

Richard