IPython team needs a student for a google "Summer of Code" project.

Discussion in 'Python' started by Ville Vainio, May 3, 2006.

  1. Ville Vainio

    Ville Vainio Guest

    This comes in a bit of a hurry (you only have time until next monday to
    sign up), but here's the deal:

    The next version of ipython (0.7.2, "out soon", pretty much done
    already) will include an extension for browsing and manipulating
    tabular data (e.g. file name, file size, permissions etc.) called
    "ipipe", contributed by Walter Doerwald. See
    http://projects.scipy.org/ipython/ipython/wiki/UsingIPipe to get an
    idea.

    The bad news is that, being built on curses, the browser only works on
    Linux/posix. That's where you'll step in. We need a similar tabular
    browser built on wxPython toolkit (possibly with the Wax wrapper
    library). Walter and me have already been accepted as mentors, but we
    need someone to do the work. As you probably know, there's money
    involved, see http://code.google.com/soc/studentfaq.html. No knowledge
    of IPython codebase is necessary (nor will you need to learn it), and
    the ipipe module itself is pretty manageable and small. So it's mostly
    about implementing new stuff from scratch.

    Please contact ipython-dev, me or (preferably) Walter Doerwald
    () if you are interested, ASAP.

    Ville Vainio, May 3, 2006