Is IO::Scalar module installed?

Geoff Cox

Hello

I have just installed ActiveState Perl 5.8.2 build 808 and have
following line in some code

use IO::Scalar

but get error message "can't locate IO/Scalar.pm"

even though when I list the modules installed I have

d:/perl/lib/PerlIO/Scalar.pm

am a little confused!

Cheers

Geoff

Ben Morrow

Geoff Cox said:
Hello

I have just installed ActiveState Perl 5.8.2 build 808 and have
following line in some code

use IO::Scalar

but get error message "can't locate IO/Scalar.pm"

even though when I list the modules installed I have

d:/perl/lib/PerlIO/Scalar.pm
^^^^
See that? It's a different module.

Open a DOS box and type 'ppm install IO-stringy'.

Ben

James Willmore

Hello

I have just installed ActiveState Perl 5.8.2 build 808 and have
following line in some code

use IO::Scalar

but get error message "can't locate IO/Scalar.pm"

even though when I list the modules installed I have

d:/perl/lib/PerlIO/Scalar.pm

am a little confused!

*How* did you install IO::Scalar? Did you use PPM or just copy files?

Best advise - use PPM and re-install IO::Scalar.

HTH

--
Jim

for more information.

a fortune quote ...
Uncle Ed's Rule of Thumb: Never use your thumb for a rule.
You'll either hit it with a hammer or get a splinter in it.

Geoff Cox

^^^^
See that? It's a different module.

Open a DOS box and type 'ppm install IO-stringy'.

Ben

thanks for the help ... have done above and it appeasr to have worked
but

1. why the "stringy" in IO-stringy ?! thought this was your shorthand!
2. where is ppm getting the IO-stringy from??

Cheers

Geoff

Ben Morrow

Geoff Cox said:
thanks for the help ... have done above and it appeasr to have worked
but

1. why the "stringy" in IO-stringy ?! thought this was your shorthand!

Modules on CPAN are arranged into 'distributions', which are a set of
modules that come in one tar.gz file and are all installed at
once. The distribution with IO::Scalar in is called IO-stringy,
because (ultimately) that's what its author chose to call it :). I
don't know if ppm will tell you which distribution a given module is
in: I'd imagine it will. If it won't, you can use search.cpan.org like
I did.
2. where is ppm getting the IO-stringy from??

Some ppm 'repositry', which is a site it can download pre-compiled
versions of CPAN modules from. Read the docs on ppm to find out how to
list and change the sites it uses.

Ben

Geoff Cox

Some ppm 'repositry', which is a site it can download pre-compiled
versions of CPAN modules from. Read the docs on ppm to find out how to
list and change the sites it uses.

Ben,

thanks for the explanations - but when I ran the ppm did the file come
from a 'repositry' on my PC or from the net? I happened to be still
connected to the net at the time ..

Geoff

Geoff Cox

*How* did you install IO::Scalar? Did you use PPM or just copy files?

James,

I assumed from the above error messages that I hadn't installed
IO::Scalar?? Are you saying that it came already installed with the
ActiveState Perl 5.8.2?

When I ran "ppm install io-stringy" as advised by Ben IO::Scalar was
then installed - no message saying that it was already there?!

Geoff

James Willmore

James,

I assumed from the above error messages that I hadn't installed
IO::Scalar?? Are you saying that it came already installed with the
ActiveState Perl 5.8.2?

When I ran "ppm install io-stringy" as advised by Ben IO::Scalar was
then installed - no message saying that it was already there?!

Well, it sounds like you installed it. If it was there and up to date,
PPM would have stated as much.

--
Jim

for more information.

a fortune quote ...
"It's a summons." "What's a summons?" "It means summon's in
<trouble." -- Rocky and Bullwinkle

Ben Morrow

Geoff Cox said:
thanks for the explanations - but when I ran the ppm did the file come
from a 'repositry' on my PC or from the net? I happened to be still
connected to the net at the time ..

From the net. It *is* possible to set up a repositry on the local
machine, but one isn't set up by default (nor is it terribly useful to
do so under most circumstances).

Ben

Geoff Cox

Well, it sounds like you installed it. If it was there and up to date,
PPM would have stated as much.

I hadn't realised that the ppm obtained the module from the
ActiveState web site !

Cheers

Geoff