Is it more CPU-efficient to read/write config file or read/writesqlite database?

JL

I have a number of python processes which communicate with each other through writing/reading config text files. The python ConfigParser is used. I amwondering if it is more CPU-efficient to switch to using sqlite database instead of using configuration files. If the software does plenty of reading/writing, is it more efficient to use config text files or sqlite database?

Thank you.

Irmen de Jong

I have a number of python processes which communicate with each other through
writing/reading config text files. The python ConfigParser is used. I am wondering if
it is more CPU-efficient to switch to using sqlite database instead of using
configuration files. If the software does plenty of reading/writing, is it more
efficient to use config text files or sqlite database?

Thank you.

I think you're asking the wrong question...
Both options will very likely be constrained by I/O instead of CPU (in other words: do
you know for certain that you have a CPU-bottleneck right now?)
But both of them aren't well suited for inter process communication. Especially the
"reading/writing config files" sounds particularly sketchy.

Take a look at the myriad of options for *proper* inter-process communication (if that
is what you're after). It also helps to describe your situation in more detail so we can
give better answers.

Cheers,
Irmen

Tim Chase

I have a number of python processes which communicate with each
other through writing/reading config text files. The python
ConfigParser is used. I am wondering if it is more CPU-efficient to
switch to using sqlite database instead of using configuration
files. If the software does plenty of reading/writing, is it more
efficient to use config text files or sqlite database?

I'm pretty sure that the CPU aspect doesn't really play into things.
A few thoughts:

+ You'll be I/O bound most of the time. Even if you used a ramdisk
to reduce disk access delays, accessing multiple .txt files requires
the OS to do permission-checking each time, while a single sqlite
file gets checked once upon opening the DB initially.
+ text-files are fragile unless you take extra pains to keep things
atomic
+ sqlite guarantee* atomicity, so you either see all-or-nothing
+ sqlite is also very efficient for querying
+ sticking with plain-text config files is just asking for some sort
of race-condition or partial-file issue to come up
+ sqlite may give you less CPU load is just an added benefit

-tkc

* well, except on NFS shares and other places where file-locking is
unreliable