Is it ok to still use datasets instead of linq?

Andy B

I have been told that I should start using linq. I am used to datasets and
how they work. Should I really change since I don't know anything about
linq?

Göran Andersson

Andy said:
I have been told that I should start using linq. I am used to datasets and
how they work. Should I really change since I don't know anything about
linq?

You should definitely take a look at LINQ to see what you can do with
it. However, it's not at all certain that it's better for whatever you
are doing. Just because there is a new alternative doesn't mean that
everything that came before is suddenly totally useless.

Andy B

Ben Amada said:
There's chatter recently that Linq to Sql is already being phased out in
favor of the Entity Framework:

Is LINQ to SQL Truly Dead?
http://www.infoq.com/news/2008/11/DLINQ-Future
How hard is it to use the entity framework? The main thing I use datasets
for is data access and binding to controls on a page. I would use entity
framework, but it seems a little complicated for one and it looks like you
have to jump through tons of hoops just to bind to a repeater control. Any
ideas on this?

Ben Amada

Andy said:
How hard is it to use the entity framework? The main thing I use
datasets for is data access and binding to controls on a page. I would
use entity framework, but it seems a little complicated for one and it
looks like you have to jump through tons of hoops just to bind to a
repeater control. Any ideas on this?

I honestly haven't yet looked into EF. I'm a little cautious these days to
jump into the gust of technology that just happens to be blowing through
Redmond this month. I very much doubt the classic dataset / datatable
classes in ADO.NET are going anywhere while .NET is around. Entity
Framework was released in .NET 3.5 SP1. You can see how EF works, with
samples, etc. at the link below:

ADO.NET Entity Framework