Is javascript useful for creating powerpoint like presentation of html pages

Harry

I am accumulating over 80 pages per day into an archive that I
will need to be able to present sequentially to viewers. Using
html to viewing a page, then click on back to return to my archive
index is so awkward it is not useful for my presentations.

Can javascript be used to create a powerpoint like presentation of
html files (with gif hyperlinks)sequentially from html page to page?

Is so, could someone suggest where I could find a sample of how to
use a javascript program to efficiently navigate viewer through
a date based archive or suggest how to solve my problem?

Harry

Yvon Kephren

Ok Harry, I don't have a link but depending how the naming of the
files in your archive, yes you can do this, easily.

-If the files are named sequentially with a number
EXAMPLE (page1.html, page2.html, page3.html)
Would be the most effective, least error prone and with the least
amount of code

-If the names are random and have to patterns
EXAMPLE (page1.html, two.html, lastPageInList.html)
This would make the code a lot more error prone and you would have to
create an index of pages that exist to then direct you in the right
direction when you click on the link.

I am willing to write the code for this application if you provide me
with the information about the pages in the archive.

E-mail me, Yvon
(e-mail address removed).

Harry

OK, Yvon -- of course you would need more details:
I'm storing files in an archive such as the site below.
http://www.fxblogs.com/USDJPY0601.HTM

I need to edit my current presentations so that backward and forward
buttons will be able to help users better navigate thru the archive
(see below). http://www.fxblogs.com/ARCHIVE/F040602/GBPUSD1.htm

I may get rid of the buttons and use text button since I'm not happy
with them. See this example for:
http://www.fxblogs.com/ARCHIVE/F040602/GBPUSD6.htm

Both Powerpoint and PDF files load way too slow because my archive
generates huge files so I need to stick with html. My program
assigns url names using a a simple sequentially date based scheme
every 15 minutes 24 hours per day.

If you can give up special treatment to the two outer first and last
buttons then something along the following lines should work.

# For the first page in the archive only have a next button referring
to the next session.
# For subsequent pages within the first day have a previous and next
button referring to sessions within the day.
# For the last page no next button is needed.
# Then continue the series.

Regards,
Harry

Yvon Kephren

Wow I didn't expect this to be for a market theory. But with the
information you have given me and the information I have acquired this
should be real simple. I should have this script done by the same time
tomorrow. That's about 2 A.M. Eastern Time if you wouldn't mind posting
your email address to send the script, or if you prefer to recieve it
here? Let me know.

And as a suggestion, you should keep the button concept because it
stands out. For simplicity reasons, the user understands that you can
maneuver around the current information.
If you don't really have any artistic talent?, I can ask my friend to
draw you some simple slick buttons.

So to make sure the naming of the files goes
"http://www.fxblogs.com/ARCHIVE/F" + year + month + day + "/F" + year +
month + day + 0 to 20 + 1 to 4 + "/USDJPY.HTM"

http://www.fxblogs.com/ARCHIVE/F040601/F040601001/USDJPY.HTM

Dr John Stockton

JRS: In article <[email protected]>, seen in
news:comp.lang.javascript said:
So to make sure the naming of the files goes
"http://www.fxblogs.com/ARCHIVE/F" + year + month + day + "/F" + year +
month + day + 0 to 20 + 1 to 4 + "/USDJPY.HTM"

Perhaps 20 should read 23.

For many locations, year month day should be GMT/UTC, if there is to be
no Autumnal duplication; month & day need 2 digits, otherwise 11 Jan & 1
Nov are indistinguishable.

If the need is just for a name that changes every 15 minutes, consider
new Date().getTime()/9e5 | 0 which as a string is seven characters
long and remains so until spring of 2255.

The name of the next/previous page can then be determined from that of
the current page by adding/subtracting one.

Harry

Thanks for your very informative comments on usage of date and time
info. I'll consider those changes in updated version of my forex
archive/blogger. I've just add a way for users to go back and forward
once they've entered the index page of the archive.
http://www.fxblogs.com/

Now instead of clicking to get out of a trading session users are able
to go forward or backward depending on their preferrence to the
subsequent sessions.

Currently, the forex blogger archives 5 markets in 15 minute trading
sessions. I'm looking to develop user friendly ways to present future
version of archive to viewers that might perhaps include a drop down
horizontal menu in which I would have each of 5 columns provide access
to market.

I would appreciate any constructive comments that would improve the
ability of users to navigate my archive including how to add a
javascript dropdown menu. The archive is viewable using the index at
http://www.fxblogs.com/ because individual page links are temporary
due to the nature of the blogger.

Regards,
Harry

Kien

Hi Harry,

Do you have access ot your server with ASP or something server-side?
It'll be dead easy to go thru the fold and list the files on a dropdown list.

Kien

Markus Ernst

Kien said:
Hi Harry,

Do you have access ot your server with ASP or something server-side?
It'll be dead easy to go thru the fold and list the files on a dropdown list.

Kien

I agree to that. If you use ASP or PHP or something similar you can just
create a small script that does the following:

- Read all the file names in the directory into an array
- Sort the array by date, file name or whatever
- Include the file that is indicated in the Request URI for output
- Output a back and forward button with URIs that look something like:
index.php?display=[filename]
- And/or output a dropdown list as Kien suggested for direct access to every
page

Like that you don't have to edit all your pages but just write one script.

HTH
Markus

Harry

Thank you for your comments. Yes, I know I have access to my server
with PHP.
Do you have access ot your server with ASP or something server-side?
It'll be dead easy to go thru the fold and list the files on a dropdown
list.

But let me recap what I've done since the start of this post and where
I'm at now so you have a better understanding of where I'm headed.

- Read all the file names in the directory into an array
- Sort the array by date, file name or whatever
- Include only file that exist as candidates for a link
(obviously to avoid problems with dead links)
- Output a back and forward buttons that leads to the previous or next page.

If you've reviewed the archive type forex blogger at my site you'll
notice it does not lead back to the home page, other archives or
markets. To me this means there much room for improving navigation.
I favor a adding a drop down menu because it will fit into a small
space - while providing better alternatives for navigation.

If I leave the existing back and forward button where it is since it
will be used more frequently (making it usage less efficient in a drop
down menu) and add a horizontal drop down menu at the bottom of the
page then I could have three dropdown segments that allow navigation
for less frequent alternatives.

My three drop down segments might be as follows:

A. Home page B. Archive C. Markets
to home page goes to 1 of 5 markets goes to 1 of 5 markets
for the same day for the same trading
session

I'm using a high level programming language but one that is not
supported by many servers. How do I add javascript code to handle the
menu related tasks (as it is supported by most servers)? And do the
accumulation of huge files in my archive, if I decide to develop a
webserver that is supported by my language what do I need to do to
have it work with the javascript drop down menu.

I'm assuming here that is makes the most sense to use javascript for
such a menu and that it's easy to run it on almost any platform (since
it so widely used for that purpose). I'm not proficient in javascript
programming - but with all the menu proto-type available I might not
have to be. Right?

Regards,
Harry

Harry

It's occurred to me that instead of a horizontal drop down menu at the
bottom of the page with three dropdown segments for navigation of less
frequent alternatives -- a vertical drop menu could be more effective.

Drop down segments might be as follows:

1st section = Home page
2nd section = Archive 5 alternatives
3rd section = Market 5 alternatives

An example of how this might look like can be found at:
http://www.fxblogs.com/menu.htm

The links are not active in the example provided. Any suggestion on
javascript code that would make this possible would be highly
appreciated.

Regards,
Harry