Is the Microsoft.NET Framework required for web applications?

kingflux

Hello, all-- Is the Microsoft.NET Framework required on the client for
a web application?

What are the possible consequences if the Framework is required but not
present on a client PC?

I have found that my application works on a PC which does not have the
framework installed, but it makes me nervous.

What do you think?

-Tim

Gregory Silvano

ASP.NET applications require the .NET Framework on the server, not each
client.

At the end of the day, ASP.NET just spits out HTML - the client browser has
no idea what platform generated the HTML, be it Java, ASP.NET, or other. If
you just have a good old fashioned web site of HTML, Javascript, CSS, etc.
then you're all set. If your web site uses ActiveX controls or other things
like that, then the client machines become more of an issue.

--
Regards,

Gregory Silvano
Stature Software, LLC
http://www.staturesoftware.com

Marina Levit [MVP]

No, it is not.

A .aspx page just returns a bunch of HTML and javascript. You don't need
the framework for that.

Unless you are doing something very specific (which you are not if you just
have a typical .NET web app), this is all that will ever be returned, and it
will be fine. You could have coded a bunch of static HTML pages that
returned the exact same thing.

Also, if one PC doesn't have the framework and yet your app works, then the
framework must not be necessary.

Juan T. Llibre

re:
What are the possible consequences if the Framework is required but not
present on a client PC?

Client PC's don't need the .Net Framework installed to run ASP.NET apps.
ASP.NET sends HTML to client PCs.