Is there a user-friendly xml database like Access?

neb

Hi all,

Does anybody know if there is anything like Access that is xml powered?
Having MS Access in mind, I dream of an engine that will store the xml
document, and their schema, and enable user-friendly queries like the
query designer?
I know that sql server is xml-enable and that there is some native xml
db, but it seems to me that they do not offer a query designer (you
have to write the xquery by hand), and their interface is far from
user-friendly (compare to Access).
If what i'm talking about do not exist, can you share us a way to reach
such state of working with xml db?

Joseph Kesselman

IBM has added a lot more XML support in its most recent version of DB2,
including a new data model specifically for XML. I believe they've
included XQuery support for that. The media have been saying that this
breakthrough might have actually justified calling the new server DB3,
rather than just DB2 version 9.

There's a no-charge version available for download ("DB2 Express-C")
which supports C, C++, Java, .Net, and PHP among others. You'll find a
link to it from IBM's XML DeveloperWorks website (http://www.ibm.com/xml)

(Statement of bias: I'm an IBMer.)

neb

Thanks Joseph,
This product seems to be what i'm looking for.
A real xml DBMS, with in bonus the ability to handle relational data.
GUI is friendly and there is also an xquery designer.
Thanks again for the hint.

Peter Flynn

Joseph said:
IBM has added a lot more XML support in its most recent version of DB2,
including a new data model specifically for XML. I believe they've
included XQuery support for that. The media have been saying that this
breakthrough might have actually justified calling the new server DB3,
rather than just DB2 version 9.

There's a no-charge version available for download ("DB2 Express-C")
which supports C, C++, Java, .Net, and PHP among others. You'll find a
link to it from IBM's XML DeveloperWorks website (http://www.ibm.com/xml)

Does it come with a web-accessable front-end, or it is just an API?
(Statement of bias: I'm an IBMer.)

No problem: it's considered perfectly acceptable in polite society
nowadays :)

///Peter

neb

Can't point out exactly where, and i'm no expert at what you are
talking about.
But IBM wanted the product to be bullet proof, and the press claim it
too.
This feature is probably include.