    there a way for me to move them to my new 1.8.6 installation?

    Thanks,
    Wes

    Wes Gamble, Jul 25, 2007

    Travis D Warlick Jr, Jul 25, 2007

  3. Wes Gamble

    James Britt Guest

    Are you sure? I haven't installed on windows in a while, but last I
    recall, if you used the packaged (i.e. "1-click") installer, it deleted
    the entire existing Ruby install, gems and all.

    James

    James Britt, Jul 25, 2007

    Travis D Warlick Jr, Jul 25, 2007
  5. Wes Gamble

    Wes Gamble Guest

    Under Windows, the gems are not separate from the Ruby installation,
    hence my question.

    RUBY_HOME=C:\ruby

    Gems live in C:\ruby\lib\ruby\gems.

    I plan to just copy them over in the new installation directory for now.

    Thanks,
    Wes

    Wes Gamble, Jul 25, 2007
  6. Wes, don't forget that some gems install a binary component which if
    you just copy the gem tree, you will miss. I would suggest that you
    get all the gems from your gem cache directory. Your cache directory
    can be found by:

    gem environment <enter>
    RubyGems Environment:
    - VERSION: 0.9.2 (0.9.2)
    - INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: /opt/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
    - GEM PATH:
    - /opt/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
    - REMOTE SOURCES:
    - http://gems.rubyforge.org

    The GEM PATH plus cache, so on my system
    /opt/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/cache is where all the gem files live.
    Copy these off and then update your ruby, then (with gem installed if
    necessary it is part of the one click installer), in the directory
    where you copied off the gems:

    gem install *.gem --force

    You need the force to simplify the handling of dependencies and
    assumedly all the dependencies were valid in your previous install.

    Note this can take a while if you have a lot of gems, but this has
    worked for me in the past.

    Good luck
    pth

    Patrick Hurley, Jul 26, 2007