Upgrading to 1.8.6-p230 on Windows

jfry

Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade to 1.8.6-p230 on Windows XP. I initially
installed with the One Click Installer, and am currently running: ruby
1.8.5 (2006-12-25 patchlevel 12) [i386-mswin32]

Searching, I see this suggestion to use the One Click Installer again:
http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/270203

....with a warning that I'll lose my gems unless I work around it by
renaming
c:\ruby to something else, installing ruby, then overwrite
C:\ruby\lib\ruby\gems with the old version and call 'gem update' to
fetch the new versions.

Is that advice still true? Anything you'd recommend instead?

Thanks,
Jeff

Jano Svitok

Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade to 1.8.6-p230 on Windows XP. I initially
installed with the One Click Installer, and am currently running: ruby
1.8.5 (2006-12-25 patchlevel 12) [i386-mswin32]

Searching, I see this suggestion to use the One Click Installer again:
http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/270203

...with a warning that I'll lose my gems unless I work around it by
renaming
c:\ruby to something else, installing ruby, then overwrite
C:\ruby\lib\ruby\gems with the old version and call 'gem update' to
fetch the new versions.

Is that advice still true? Anything you'd recommend instead?

1. I have written response to a similar thread this morning.
2. You might want to wait with the upgrade, as 230 is known to be
broken. See recent threads here and on ruby-core.
Alternatively, use the patched provided instead of the "upstream" 230.