Is there any basic base for a community website? (J2ee)

Jimi Hullegård

Hi

I'm wondering if there is any basic "base" for a community website. With
things like support for user registration, login, individual homepages,
photo albums, sending messages, guestbooks, diaries and so on... And
ofcourse with optimised code (especially the code for the communicating with
the database).
I mean, I know these things have been written before, so it feels a bit
stupid to do it again, like reinventing the wheel.
What I'm looking for is a basic foundation, written in J2ee (Java/jsp), that
is easy to use as a base when making a community that should be able to
handle a large "population" (at least a few thousand simultanous users, and
holefully ten thousands or even houndred thousands at peak hours, in the
future).

Any suggestions?

/Jimi

Leo Gaggl

Jimi said:
[...]

check out alfresco.org

Leo
Adelaide, South Australia

Jimi Hullegård

Leo said:
check out alfresco.org

Now I have read pretty much everything there is to read on their website,
and I still can't figure out exactly what it is. Their description of it is
way to fuzzy for me. I read the tutorial, but it seemed to focus on how a
administrator creates a new user, and then how content is uploaded.

What I'm looking for is more like a bunch of java files, that can work as a
base for a online community. I would like one ore more java-servlets, some
java classes that handle the DB, and some jsp-files that I can modify.
I have already written all this. But I'm sure that I have made many, MANY
misstakes, regarding sequrity and performance. So I would like a small,
simple, fast and sequre foundation to build on. I still want to be in
controll of everything, and not rely on a web interface to build the site.

Anyone?

Regards
/Jimi

Jimi Hullegård

Nag said:

Well, I can't really see how I could use netomat and modify it so it would
look and feel exactly the way we want it to. and it seems like they store
everything on their servers. we want to use our own servers, and have
complete controll of everything.

As I wrote in my reply to the other post, what I'm looking for is more like
a bunch of java files, that can work as a base for a online community. I
would like one ore more java-servlets, some java classes that handle the DB,
and some jsp-files that I can modify.
I have already written all this. But I'm sure that I have made many, MANY
misstakes, regarding sequrity and performance. So I would like a small,
simple, fast and sequre foundation to build on. I still want to be in
controll of everything, and not rely on a web interface to build the site.

But I still want to thank you Nag and Leo, for your suggestions.

Regards
/Jimi

Thomas Schodt

Jimi said:
... these things have been written before, so it feels a bit
stupid to do it again, like reinventing the wheel.
What I'm looking for is a basic foundation, written in J2ee (Java/jsp)
is easy to use as a base when making a community that should be able to
handle a large "population" (at least a few thousand simultanous users, and
hopefully ten thousands or even houndred thousands at peak hours, in the
future).
Any suggestions?

Find out exactly what whatever you want is called, and Google.

There are open source bulletin boards written for j2ee servers.
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=j2ee+bulletin+board+open+source