is WSE wise?

GaryDean

We have to put up some web services for a client and I am looking into WSE
3.0. While I'm sure it provide security it looks like it complicates
development but I am wondering how much. I notice that WSE is not discussed
much on this forum and when questions come up on it, they largely go
unanswered - that usually means something is wrong.

Is WSE, in any way, a problematic solution. (I know WCF is the new platform
for this but we are not ready to go there at this time.)

Can web services be written and then can we easily apply WSE later?

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

WSE is the Microsoft implementation of the WS-* standards, which include
basic profile, security, reliable messaging, etc. If you are absolutely sure
you need none of these, then you can forgo them, but I would seriously
consider before dropping WSE out of the mix.

WCF is just a new way of setting up a "web service" interface, so do not
thing of WCF as a different stack as much as a different way to use the
stack. There are lots of extras already built in. It is not a bad idea to
consider moving to WCF, if you are starting out, or having your underlying
classes properly factored for WCF. Otherwise, web services with WSE is a
good option.

If you have separated the transport (service endpoint) from the business
code, you will find switching from ASMX to WCF to be a breeze.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think outside the box!

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for Gregory's input.

Hi Gary,

As Gregory has mentioned, WSE is an add-on component for .net framework
based webservice, it add the support of the WS_* specifications. And
currently WSE 3.0 conform to the latest ws-* specification. And the
webservice secured by WSE 3.0 is interopable with WCF service.

I'm wondering what's your application's scenario, does it require message
layer security? So far based on my experience, WSE 3.0 provides many
built-in component that can help you add security feature upon exiting .net
webservice without writing much custom code. However, if you need for
customization, you may need to write more code which may be a bit complex
since you need to get closer to the underlying WS-* and WSE infrastructure.

You can find more resource and information about WSE in the following site:

#Web Services Enhancements (WSE)
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/webservices/aa740663.aspx

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng