Forum for WSE 3.0??

GaryDean

Is there a forum somewhere specializing in WSE 3.0? I am going through the
"Microsoft Web Service Security Patterns and Practices" book/pdf and it has
a link to a community forum with a url of
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?Linkid=57044 but that is a bad link. I have
some questions that are probably too specific for this general forum.

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Hi Gary,

As for forum, there are also XML webservice forums on both MSDN and ASPNET
community. As the same in MSDN newsgroup, you can post those WSE questions
in those webservice forums too.

#ASMX Web Services and XML Serialization Search ASMX Web Services and XML
Serialization Forum
http://forums.msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/asmxandxml/threads/

#XML Web Services
http://forums.asp.net/28.aspx

BTW, I've also replied you in a former thread and provided some information
about learning resource of WSE 3.0:

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

(e-mail address removed).

http://support.microsoft.com/select/default.aspx?target=assistance&ln=en-us.

--------------------

John Saunders

Gary, WSE is obsolete. Do not use it for new development. I strongly suggest
that you use WCF instead. See the resources at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/wcf.

Steven, I appreciate your work in the newsgroups, but please stop directing
people towards WSE. They usually ask because a search on MSDN returns old
information as well as new information. In fact, if you search for "Web
Service Security" on MSDN, the top 20 articles are on WSE. That's not
because it's the correct approach to Web Service Security, it's because MSDN
search needs to be fixed.

If they are already using WSE and can't upgrade yet, that's ok. But I find
many people starting to use an obsolete product for new development, and we
can save them a lot of grief by directing them to WCF for anything having to
do with web services.

Thanks,
John

GaryDean

John,
Sometime ago we canceled our transition to .net 3.5. This was because
Visual Studio 2008 just did not work. I know we could have managed to
develop 3.5 apps on Visual Studio 2005 but it was a hassle so we just ended
up staying on .net 2.0. We havent revisited the VS issue for a while now
just because we are so busy.

I posted the issues on the forums but never got any responses. VS 2008 does
weird things that ruin the html in an aspx page - it will totally clobber a
project. For instance, we had a table full of controls that spanned
about250 lines. I dragged the table, in design mode, to widen it about an
inch. VS 2008 automatically put all 250 lines on one long single line,
capitalized all of the text i.e <table> to <TABLE>, inserted new tags that
were illegal, etc. We couldn't get anything done. We had to go back to vs
2005 (which works very well) and cancel our transition to .net 3.5.

John Saunders

GaryDean said:
[...]

Gary, I suggest you note that few others seem to have those problems.

Also, you can develop WCF applications using Visual Studio 2008, and
continue to develop the web applications with 2005. It would be greatly
preferable to continuing to put effort into an obsolete platform.

BTW, I, too, would recommend a forum on WSE. My reasons are selfish ones,
though. Such a forum or newsgroup would have little traffic, and I could
safely ignore it.