Iterate through a list of tuples for processing

Shyam Parimal Katti

I have a list of tuples where the number of rows in the list and the number
of columns in tuples of the list will not be constant. i.e.

list = [(a1,b1, …z1), (a2,b2, …, z2),…. ,(am,bm, … , zm )]. It can be
compared to the SQL results, as the number of columns change in the sql,
the number of columns change in the list of tuples as well.

I have to iterate through each element of each tuple in the list, perform
some checks on the value, convert it and return the modified values as a
new list of tuples.

i.e.

list_value = [(‘name1’, 1234, ‘address1’ ), (‘name2’, 5678, ‘address2’),
(‘name3’, 1011, ‘addre”ss3’)]

I need to access each value to check if the value contains a double quote
and enclose the string containing double quote with double quotes. The
transformation should return

list_value = [(‘name1’, 1234, ‘address1’ ), (‘name2’, 5678, ‘address2’),
(‘name3’, 1011, ‘”addre”ss3”’)]

The simplest approach for me would be to do this:

mod_val = [transform(row) for row in list_value]

def transform(row):

mod_list=[]

while index < len(row):

.... if isinstance(row[index],basestring):

.... if '"' in row[index]:

.... mod_list.append('"'+row[index]+'"')

.... else:

.... mod_list.append(row[index])

.... index = index+1

.... return mod_list

Is there a way to make the code concise using list comprehension?