J2ME?

PHP2

I am new in the Java world.. I am C/C++ programmer..

If I wish develop J2ME for mobile phones, must I learn Java from scratch or
enough is J2ME part only..

Rajesh.Rapaka

Hi,
In the first place u should be knowing Object oriented programming
structure (oops). after which u should understand the basics of JAVA
hows it is working and stuff. Ofcourse dont go for applets and frames
and J2EE gaint stuff.... u might not need them.

then take a J2ME book and u can learn many things. But u might need
java at many instances. dont hesitate to refer back...

good luck,
Regards,
Rajesh Rapaka.

Altman

I wouldn't say you need to learn it from scratch. If you are a C/C++
programmer I would guess you understand OO programming. I recently
just started J2ME programming and was able to pick it up rather quick
having experience with C/C++, FoxPro, VB6 and VB.Net. I would say of
all those though, Java is closest to C++ only a lot easier. This was a
website that really helped me
http://developers.sun.com/techtopics/mobility/midp/articles/ui/. It
shows examples of most of the gui stuff available for J2ME. Take a
look at the code and if you are able to follow it pretty well you
shouldn't have a problem.

Darryl Pierce

PHP2 said:
I am new in the Java world.. I am C/C++ programmer..

If I wish develop J2ME for mobile phones, must I learn Java from scratch or
enough is J2ME part only..

You should learn at least as much as you need to write your application.
It's necessary to understand the language syntax, and the APIs are a mix
of some APIs from desktop Java and some that are specific to mobile
programming.