JAVA and J2EE - What is the difference?

Nick Akabude

Hello there

Some employers specify the knowledge of JAVA and some would request
J2EE..What in particular makes them different, or are they the same but
called in the manner of choice?

thanks for your information and God Bless

Will Hartung

Nick Akabude said:
Hello there

Some employers specify the knowledge of JAVA and some would request
J2EE..What in particular makes them different, or are they the same but
called in the manner of choice?

Jave is a computer language and set of libraries akin to C and stdlib.

J2EE is a LARGE application architecture implemented in Java.

Knowing Java enables you to create new programs and applications based on
the language.

Knowing J2EE enables you to create new systems based on the architecture.

You can know Java without knowing J2EE, but you really can't know J2EE
without knowing Java.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Will Hartung
([email protected])

Anony!

Will Hartung said:
Jave is a computer language and set of libraries akin to C and stdlib.

J2EE is a LARGE application architecture implemented in Java.

Knowing Java enables you to create new programs and applications based on
the language.

Knowing J2EE enables you to create new systems based on the architecture.

You can know Java without knowing J2EE, but you really can't know J2EE
without knowing Java.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Will Hartung
([email protected])

A better explanation is to see Java J2EE as an extension to J2SE. It simply
provides additional API for building enterprise type applications.

Regards
AaA

Darryl L. Pierce

Nick said:
Hello there

Some employers specify the knowledge of JAVA and some would request
J2EE..What in particular makes them different, or are they the same but
called in the manner of choice?

By Java they usually mean J2SE, the standard (base) set of VM and APIs. J2EE
is the set of all enterprise technologies (servlets, JSPs, EJBs, etc.) that
build on top of the standard edition.

Darryl L. Pierce

Anony! said:
A better explanation is to see Java J2EE as an extension to J2SE. It
simply provides additional API for building enterprise type applications.

Not an extension, I would say it builds on *top* of the language. Since it
adds nothing more than new APIs, it's not really an extension IMO.

Flip

By Java they usually mean J2SE, the standard (base) set of VM and APIs.
J2EE
is the set of all enterprise technologies (servlets, JSPs, EJBs, etc.) that
build on top of the standard edition.
I would add that when someone is asking for java experience, they might be
doing thick client development, most likely swing (or maybe IBM's SWT?).
Another slant is they might even be looking at a jr developer to turn into a
web/n-tier developer.

If they are asking for J2EE, they are most likely looking for someone who
has created web applications (using JSPs and servlets) and very likely want
someone with EJB (Session and/or EJB and/or message driven beans)
experience. And lastly, they are also looking at someone who's intimate
with some type of IDE (Eclipse, JB, etc) and server (Tomcat, WebLogic,
Websphere, JBoss, etc).

I came from the MS world and I would equate it to someone asking for VB
experience or ASP experience. The VB person can write up a program to do
stuff on a computer (thick client), but the ASP person is using VB/VBS to
create a web application using MS Internet Information Server (IIS)
accessing a db (most likely SQL Server) and maybe even MS Transaction Server
too!

Good luck! :>

Anony!

"Darryl L. Pierce"
applications.

Not an extension, I would say it builds on *top* of the language. Since it
adds nothing more than new APIs, it's not really an extension IMO.

I'm not sure what your definition of extension is but according to the
online dictionaries, "extension is the addition of something". And as you
said J2EE is nothing more than new APIs that are "added" to J2SE making it
an extension.

AaA

Darryl L. Pierce

Anony! said:
I'm not sure what your definition of extension is but according to the
online dictionaries, "extension is the addition of something". And as you
said J2EE is nothing more than new APIs that are "added" to J2SE making it
an extension.

I consider something an extension if it's a superset of something; i.e., CDC
is an extension of CLDC. An extension is the enlargement of scope of some
thing; i.e., tools are an extension of hands. I guess in some ways you
could consider J2EE an extension of the APIs. Ah, ignore my previous
message, I'm just getting senile and set in my ways.... :)