Java Developer Exploring Python

Fredrik Lundh

Jon said:
"The distributors"? Que?

all the downstream people who work their asses off to provide pre-
built, pre-tested distributions for various platforms. this includes the
PSF volunteers, commercial actors, and a large crowd of linux/bsd
volunteers.

these days, most end users get their Python either with their OS,
or by downloading a prebuilt installer.
I guess I just don't get why the inclusion of the pysqlite wrapper
is so exciting if all it's doing is changing the situation from
"Python does not come with a DB, but you can install extra software
to provide one" to "Python does not come with a DB, but you can
install extra software to provide one".

I assume you stopped reading at "just as they've included zlib, dbm,
tcl/tk, openssl, and many other standard libraries over the years."

sqlite is not exactly Python's first external depency (check the depency
lists for a typical linux distribution if you don't believe me)

</F>

Jay Parlar

Funny timing coincidence: your 1st draft of Python for Dummies going in
now, my 2nd edition of Python in a Nutshell just went to production,
AND
Wesley Chun's 2nd ed is also being finished this week. Three
Baypiggies
(or whatever we'll have to call ourselves) all finishing Python books
(be they new, or 2nd eds) all within one week of Easter -- what's the
chances of THAT?-)

Wesley Chun is doing a second edition of Core Python? Oh wow! That's
the book I learned Python with oh so long ago(between 1.5.2 and the
mysterious 1.6). I told people for a long time that Core was the best
book with which to learn Python, but I stopped doing that as it's too
out of date now.

Glad to see Ruby isn't the only language getting a bunch of new good
books.

Jay P.

Aahz

I guess I just don't get why the inclusion of the pysqlite wrapper
is so exciting if all it's doing is changing the situation from
"Python does not come with a DB, but you can install extra software
to provide one" to "Python does not come with a DB, but you can
install extra software to provide one".

There's a difference between "needing to install extra software" and
"compiling Python allows you to use your installed software".

Jon Ribbens

these days, most end users get their Python either with their OS,
or by downloading a prebuilt installer.

Oh, ok. I've just never heard such people referred to as "the
distributors" before. It sounds like some sort of TV series! ;-)
I assume you stopped reading at "just as they've included zlib, dbm,
tcl/tk, openssl, and many other standard libraries over the years."

I'll assume you didn't read my post properly then, since I did no such
thing.

Never mind, it was just meant to be an innocuous question, and
I'm certainly not disagreeing with the decision to include pysqlite.

SPE - Stani's Python Editor

Can anyone recommend an open source IDE for Python that runs on Linux?

A lot of SPE (http://pythonide.stani.be) users are on all kinds of
Linux flavours (but also Mac OSX and windows). I've started to use SPE
on Ubuntu. There could be some improvements. As soon as I have time
I'll implement them. If you want to try SPE, use for sure the latest
version 0.8.2.a
Perhaps I will have to write a simple IDE for Python that integrates Glade and supports pyGTK when I have some more programming experience...

Have a look at PIDA then or feel free to join the pyxides project at
that time: http://pyxides.stani.be

Stani

sjdevnull

Is Python actively developed and supported on Linux?

Yes. In fact, Red Hat's installation and administration tools are
written in Python and have been for a decade (give or take a year or
two).