Java PermGen out of memory exception

fredliu

Hi,

I'm getting the PermGen exception from our web service. Just want to check other than analyzing through memory tools, are there any known bad practices which may cause PermGen memory leak? Thanks

The code of the sevlet
https://cs.corp.google.com/#piper//...acesaver/web/nanny/BookingRemoverServlet.java

I've bumped up the memory size but the issue still exists.
"-XX:MaxPermSize=160m",

E0327 16:52:17.790999 56 GSE worker #22 HttpConnectionImpl.run caught a throwable
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space
at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:142)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:449)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader.java:71)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.ja

Arne Vajhøj

I'm getting the PermGen exception from our web service. Just want to check other than analyzing through memory tools, are there any known bad practices which may cause PermGen memory leak? Thanks

The code of the sevlet
https://cs.corp.google.com/#piper//...acesaver/web/nanny/BookingRemoverServlet.java

I've bumped up the memory size but the issue still exists.
"-XX:MaxPermSize=160m",

E0327 16:52:17.790999 56 GSE worker #22 HttpConnectionImpl.run caught a throwable
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

PermGen is used for classs definitions.

If you are leaking it then it is often because you are dynamically
generating classes and loading them continuously.

But maybe you are not leaking but just need a lot.

160 MB is not that much. You could try with 300 MN and see if the app
can keep running.

Arne

Jeff Higgins

On 3/28/2014 11:04 PM, Jeff Higgins wrote:

Hmm.

I thought that permgen was gone in Java 8??
? According to JEP 122 removing the permgen space was a funded project.
Maybe that didn't extend to updating the documentation.