Java project layout & Eclipse

hoist2k

I have a large Java project laid out according to Sun's recommendation:
http://java.sun.com/blueprints/code/projectconventions.html

There is a project root with a master build.xml at the top.
Underneath this is a "components" directory containing core components
(eg libraries) and an "apps" directory containing my applications (web
apps, etc). Each component has its own source and build.xml, and so
does each application.

-root
-build.xml (build everything)
+apps
-build.xml (build all apps)
+app1
-build.xml (app1)
+app2
-build.xml (app2)
+components
-build.xml (build all components)
+comp1
-build.xml (comp1)
+comp2
-build.xml (comp2)

The problem is getting Eclipse to play nicely with this layout.

I check out the entire project, which is fine. I now want Eclipse to
build each subproject independently of the other so I can keep
dependencies working. Ideally I'd like each subproject to be an
Eclipse project. When everything is in one project (as it is now when
I check out the root), the dependencies don't work - everything builds
in Eclipse but then craps out in Ant (the latter being the correct
behavior).

I do not want to copy the subprojects into separate folders, because I
still want to be able to check out the whole project and build
everything at once and check it all back in.

I basically want an Eclipse project at the root, and then more projects
rooted INSIDE these subfolders. Possible?

Any suggestions?