Java under Mozilla 1.7.10?

bugbear

I just (courtesy of Fedora yum update) upgraded
to Mozilla1.7.10 on Fedora FC3.

As of that moment I cannot run browser java applets
in Mozilla, Firefox or Konqueror, which was all
working happily before.

I have a normal (verging on mundane) installation
of j2sdk1.4.2_06, and I a nice sym link
in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

libjavaplugin_oji.so -> /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_06/jre/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so

I reduced the problem to the point where I could not
run HelloWorld from my own server...

Strangely, I CAN run applets from the file system (i.e. accessed
from the browser via file://)

But I cannot load applets over HTTP :-(

If I try, I get the following stack trace:

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: HelloWorld.class
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.findClass(AppletClassLoader.java:162)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadClass(AppletClassLoader.java:123)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadCode(AppletClassLoader.java:566)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.createApplet(AppletPanel.java:617)
at sun.plugin.AppletViewer.createApplet(AppletViewer.java:1863)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.runLoader(AppletPanel.java:546)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(AppletPanel.java:298)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)
Caused by: java.net.ConnectException: Invalid argument
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(PlainSocketImpl.java:305)
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSocketImpl.java:171)
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:158)
at sun.net.NetworkClient.doConnect(NetworkClient.java:137)
at sun.plugin.net.protocol.http.HttpClient.doConnect(HttpClient.java:106)
at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.openServer(HttpClient.java:402)
at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.openServer(HttpClient.java:618)
at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.<init>(HttpClient.java:306)
at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.<init>(HttpClient.java:267)
at sun.plugin.net.protocol.http.HttpClient.<init>(HttpClient.java:41)
at sun.plugin.net.protocol.http.HttpClient.New(HttpClient.java:62)
at sun.plugin.net.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.createConnection(HttpURLConnection.java:101)
at sun.plugin.net.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.connect(HttpURLConnection.java:158)
at sun.plugin.net.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream(HttpURLConnection.java:393)
at java.net.HttpURLConnection.getResponseCode(HttpURLConnection.java:272)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.getBytes(AppletClassLoader.java:263)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.access$100(AppletClassLoader.java:43)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader$1.run(AppletClassLoader.java:152)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.findClass(AppletClassLoader.java:149)
... 9 more

If anyone has any hints, or have seen this, I'd appreciate pointers.

BugBear

Bit Twister

I just (courtesy of Fedora yum update) upgraded
to Mozilla1.7.10 on Fedora FC3.

As of that moment I cannot run browser java applets
in Mozilla, Firefox or Konqueror, which was all
working happily before.

I have a normal (verging on mundane) installation
of j2sdk1.4.2_06, and I a nice sym link
in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

libjavaplugin_oji.so -> /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_06/jre/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so

Just for fun I would try the other plugin /ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so

Roedy Green

But I cannot load applets over HTTP :-(

Along the lines of "did you remember to plug it in?"

Is Java enabled in Mozilla? See Preferences | advanced.

Is Mozilla enabled in the Java control panel | advanced?

bugbear

Roedy said:
Along the lines of "did you remember to plug it in?"

Is Java enabled in Mozilla? See Preferences | advanced.

Yes; the plug-in is found and enabled. Further it works
over the file: IO mechanism. It's only HTTP that fails.
Is Mozilla enabled in the Java control panel | advanced?

See above.

Thanks for your thoughts.

BugBear

Roedy Green

See above.

You realise they are two quite different things.

The Java control panel controls Mozilla's right to interpret <applet
tags. That, in the strange world of Java, might be interpreted to
mean remote i/o only.

I had the reverse problem with Opera which they eventually fixed.

I am using Mozilla 1.7.11 with Java 1.5.0_04 no problem on Win2k with
local or remote Applets.

Let's check if there is something odd about the way you are doing
remote applets.

See if you can access http://mindprod.com/applets/wassup.html (signed)

or http://mindprod.com/applets/isbn.html (unsigned)

bugbear

Roedy said:
You realise they are two quite different things.

The Java control panel controls Mozilla's right to interpret <applet
tags. That, in the strange world of Java, might be interpreted to
mean remote i/o only.

I had the reverse problem with Opera which they eventually fixed.

I am using Mozilla 1.7.11 with Java 1.5.0_04 no problem on Win2k with
local or remote Applets.

Let's check if there is something odd about the way you are doing
remote applets.

See if you can access http://mindprod.com/applets/wassup.html (signed)

or http://mindprod.com/applets/isbn.html (unsigned)

Thanks for the help. The problem turned out to
be (as usual) miles away from where I was looking.

My automated FC3 update had updated some security settings,
and SELinux was set so tight I couldn't get anything useful
done.

I'm behind a tight corporate firewall anyway, so
I "eased"e the SELinux settings, and can now get work
done once more...

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

BugBear

Roedy Green

Thanks for the help. The problem turned out to
be (as usual) miles away from where I was looking.

My automated FC3 update had updated some security settings,
and SELinux was set so tight I couldn't get anything useful
done.

I'm behind a tight corporate firewall anyway, so
I "eased"e the SELinux settings, and can now get work
done once more...

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

What tipped you off?

Tushar Gokhale

It has nothing to do with the upgrade you did. Its a problem of finding
the class path. Your class path file probabely needs a project name
appended.