Java Web Start - Can't load applications!

Sasu

I've been around all the groups and FAQ's trying to find what i'm
doing wrong. This is my last chance.

I'm a beginner with Java Web Start. I've followed all tutorials i've
found without understanding it!

Here's my problem!

I have an application called Animate.java
I compile, put in Animate.jar archive together with a manifest file.
So far so good. The application starts when i run the jar.

So, i put the Animate.jar on my webserver [Slackware 10.0 / Apache
2.0]http://www.mywebserver.com/japps/Animate.jar

I add "AddType application/x-java-jnlp-file .jnlp" in my httpd.conf
and restart the server.

I create the following Animate.jnpl file and put in the same directory
as my .jar file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<jnlp
spec="1.0"
codebase="http://digger.got.volvo.net/japps"
href="Animate.jnlp">

<information>
<title>Animate Demo Application</title>
<vendor>My Websystems, Inc.</vendor>
<homepage href="index.html"/>
<description>Animate Demo Application</description>
<description kind="short">A demo of Swing.</description>
<icon href="animate.gif"/>
<offline-allowed/>
</information>

<resources>
<j2se version="1.4+"/>
<jar href="Animate.jar"/>
</resources>

<application-desc/>
</jnlp>

And finally i create the index.html with a link to the .jnlp file.

The structure is:
mywebserver/japps/index.html
mywebserver/japps/Animate.jar (With manifest file)
mywebserver/japps/Animate.jnlp

The client is running JSE 1.4.2_7

The Java Web Start Demos work fine. So i think the proxy settings are
okay.

What i'm most uncertain about is my webserver conf? Is there something
more than the "AddType application/x-java-jnlp-file .jnlp" i need to
consider?

The result is that Java Web Starts starts up and just as it's about do
download the application i get an error: Unable to start Demo Animate
Application.

In details (translated from swedish so not exactly the words):
An error occurred when the application started.

Titel: Animate Demo Application
Vendor: iCAP Websystems, Inc.
Category: Hämtningsfel

Unable to load resource: http://mywebserver/japps/Animate.jnlp

JNLPException[category: Hämtningsfel : Exception: java.io.IOException
: LaunchDesc: null ]

at com.sun.javaws.cache.DownloadProtocol.doDownload(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.javaws.cache.DownloadProtocol.getLaunchFile(Unknown
Source)

at com.sun.javaws.LaunchDownload.getUpdatedLaunchDesc(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.downloadResources(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.handleApplicationDesc(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.handleLaunchFile(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.run(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

java.io.IOException

at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream(Unknown
Source)

at com.sun.javaws.net.BasicNetworkLayer.doRequest(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.javaws.net.BasicNetworkLayer.doGetRequest(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.javaws.cache.DownloadProtocol.doDownload(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.javaws.cache.DownloadProtocol.getLaunchFile(Unknown
Source)

at com.sun.javaws.LaunchDownload.getUpdatedLaunchDesc(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.downloadResources(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.handleApplicationDesc(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.handleLaunchFile(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.run(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Caused by: java.io.IOException: Server returned HTTP response code:
503 for URL: http://digger.got.volvo.net/japps/Animate.jnlp

at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream(Unknown
Source)

at java.net.HttpURLConnection.getResponseCode(Unknown Source)

... 10 more

Ad

Morten Alver

I'm not proficient with Web Start, so this is just a wild guess, but
shouldn't the <application-desc> tag have a main-class attribute?
Apologies if I'm missing the point entirely :)

Andrew Thompson

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 11:09:09 +0100, Morten Alver wrote:

(Sasu)
I'm not proficient with Web Start, so this is just a wild guess, but
shouldn't the <application-desc> tag have a main-class attribute?

No. You can omit it if the Jar has a valid* manifest that
specifies the main() class.
<http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/jws/developersguide/syntax.html#application_desc>

(from earlier)
* And about that manifest.. Exactly how do you run the Jar?
'Double click' launch? Run from command line?
If from the command line, what is the exact command you use?

Ad

Thomas Fritsch

Sasu said:
[...]

This means: WebStart will try to load from
"http://digger.got.volvo.net/japps/Animate.jnlp". Your JNLP file really
*is* there, isn't it?
Another guess: May be the trailing "/" in codebase is missing. Try
codebase="http://digger.got.volvo.net/japps/"
<information>
<title>Animate Demo Application</title>
<vendor>My Websystems, Inc.</vendor>
<homepage href="index.html"/>
<description>Animate Demo Application</description>
<description kind="short">A demo of Swing.</description>
<icon href="animate.gif"/>
<offline-allowed/>
</information>

<resources>
<j2se version="1.4+"/>
<jar href="Animate.jar"/>
</resources>

<application-desc/>
</jnlp>
[....]
The result is that Java Web Starts starts up and just as it's about do
download the application i get an error: Unable to start Demo Animate
Application.

In details (translated from swedish so not exactly the words):
An error occurred when the application started.

Titel: Animate Demo Application
Vendor: iCAP Websystems, Inc.
Category: Hämtningsfel

Unable to load resource: http://mywebserver/japps/Animate.jnlp
For some reason WebStart tried to load the JNLP from
"http://mywebserver/japps/Animate.jnlp", contrary to what is specified
in the JNLP quoted above. Something doesn't fit here, but I don't
understand what... :-(

[....]
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Server returned HTTP response code:
503 for URL: http://digger.got.volvo.net/japps/Animate.jnlp
at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream(Unknown
Source)
[....]

Hope this helps. But may be I'm totally missing the point... :-/