Java Web Start problem

Gary

We've developed a downloadable java software application that uses
Sun's Java Web Start technology. We've had no problems with 98, 2000
or XP Home users downloading and installing it but we've had a few
calls from XP Pro users experiencing problems. We know it's a either
an OS or IE (possibly IE5?)issue but we can't track down what the
exact problem is. If any of you can download and install our software
and let me know if you experience any problems it would be greatly
appreciated. The error message one user received is posted below.

http://www.chartfilter.com
Click on Free Trial (it's all free right now as we are still in
development). The only registration info that is required is a working
email to receive your log in info. We are not spammers.

There is also a toll-free number on the website if you have comments.

Thanks,
Gary

XP PRO ERROR MESSAGE:

General:
An error occurred while launching/running the application.

Category: Invalid Argument error

Could not load file/URL specified

Exception:
CouldNotLoadArgumentException[ Could not load file/URL specified] at
com.sun.javaws.Main.main(Unknown Source)

Wrapped Exception:
java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Documents and Settings\XP\Local
Settings\Temporary Internet
Files\Content.IE5\8X27GP63\client-equity[1].jnlp
(The system cannot find the file specified) at
java.io.FileInputStream.open(Native Method) at
java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(Unknown Source) at
com.sun.javaws.jnl.LaunchDescFactory.buildDescriptor(Unknown Source)
at
com.sun.javaws.Main.main(Unknown Source)

doubleought77

General:
An error occurred while launching/running the application.

Category: Invalid Argument error

Could not load file/URL specified

Exception:
CouldNotLoadArgumentException[ Could not load file/URL specified] at
com.sun.javaws.Main.main(Unknown Source)

Wrapped Exception:
java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Documents and Settings\XP\Local
Settings\Temporary Internet
Files\Content.IE5\8X27GP63\client-equity[1].jnlp
(The system cannot find the file specified) at
java.io.FileInputStream.open(Native Method) at
java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(Unknown Source) at
com.sun.javaws.jnl.LaunchDescFactory.buildDescriptor(Unknown Source)
at
com.sun.javaws.Main.main(Unknown Source)

We see this on Windows 2000 with IE 5 as well. It seems that the
user's do not have permission to launch from their Temporary Internet
Files folder. If we copy the jnlp file to their desktop, it runs fine.
Has there been a solution found yet?

Daniel Schneller

We see this on Windows 2000 with IE 5 as well. It seems that the
user's do not have permission to launch from their Temporary Internet
Files folder. If we copy the jnlp file to their desktop, it runs fine.
Has there been a solution found yet?

I think this may be another form of an IE bug I have seen before. Make
sure you clear the "Temporary Internet Files" folder via the IE's
options in the tools menu and ALSO clear the Java Webstart Cache.
(Double click the Webstart Icon the the desktop, choose Settings from
the File->Settings->Extendend dialog. Hit "Delete folder content").

Try again then.

(Sorry if the menu captions are not accurate, I have translated from my
German version).

Daniel

Donnie

We had the same problem. It appears to be that IE is trying to start
the JNLP file before it gets written to the temporary internet files.
This typically happens when the temporary intenet files cache is huge.
Whenever a user has reported this problem, we have them clear their IE
cache, and everything works fine. I have never had to delete the Java
Web Start cache. Hope this helps.

Donnie