JAWS failure

Roedy Green

This just started happening.

I can run a JAWS app from within the browser.
But when I later go to run from the desktop icon it says I don't have
Java 1.6 installed.

Here is a typical JNLP file after JAWS has normalised it:

<jnlp spec="1.6+" codebase="http://mindprod.com/replicator/"
href="http://mindprod.com/replicator/replicatorreceiverwebsite.jnlp">
<information>
<title>The Replicator 9.6 via website</title>
<vendor>Canadian Mind Products</vendor>
<homepage href="http://www.mindprod.com/"/>
<description>Replicates files via website. Also keeps them up to
date efficiently.</description>
<description kind="short">Replicates files via
website.</description>
<description kind="one-line">Replicates files via
website.</description>
<description kind="tooltip">the Replicator</description>
<icon href="http://mindprod.com/replicator/replicator.gif"
height="64" width="64" kind="default"/>
<icon href="http://mindprod.com/replicator/replicatorsplash.gif"
height="128" width="128" kind="splash"/>
<shortcut online="true">
<desktop/>
<menu submenu="The Replicator"/>
</shortcut>
</information>
<security>
<all-permissions/>
</security>
<update check="timeout" policy="always"/>
<resources>
<java initial-heap-size="134217728" max-heap-size="536870912"
java-vm-args="-ea" href="http://java.sun.com/products/autodl/j2se"
version="1.6+"/>
<jar href="http://mindprod.com/replicator/replicator.jar"
download="eager" main="false"/>
<property name="VIA" value="website"/>
<property name="PROJECT_NAME" value="Mindprod.com"/>
<property name="UNIQUE_PROJECT_NAME"
value="com.mindprod.replicator"/>
<property name="SUGGESTED_RECEIVER_BASE_DIR" value="C:\mindprod"/>
<property name="SUGGESTED_RECEIVER_ZIP_STAGING_DIR"
value="C:\mpstaging"/>
<property name="WEBSITE_ZIP_URL"
value="http://mindprod.com/replicator"/>
<property name="SUGGESTED_LAN_ZIP_URL"
value="http://mindprod.com/replicator"/>
<property name="KEEP_ZIPS" value="false"/>
<property name="UNPACK_ZIPS" value="true"/>
<property name="AUTHENTICATION" value="none"/>
<property name="DEBUGGING" value="true"/>
</resources>
<application-desc main-class="com.mindprod.replicator.Replicator"/>
</jnlp>

Roedy Green

I can run a JAWS app from within the browser.
But when I later go to run from the desktop icon it says I don't have
Java 1.6 installed.

I tried reinstalling Java . No joy. I can run JAWS apps from a
browser, but not from the desktop icon.

Roedy Green

I can run a JAWS app from within the browser.
But when I later go to run from the desktop icon it says I don't have
Java 1.6 installed.

I have improved things a bit by uninstalling the JDK and wiping clean
the directories, registry, stuff all stuff in the control panel and
the desktop icons and C:\users and reinstalling.

Now JAWS apps will start within the javaws -viewer. They will launch
from a JNLP on the desktop, but the won't launch from the icons JAWS
creates on the desktop. It still complains Java 1.6+ is not
installed.

Sabine Dinis Blochberger

Roedy said:
I tried reinstalling Java . No joy. I can run JAWS apps from a
browser, but not from the desktop icon.

Could you have a JVM from a different vendor that is a bully?

Check the executable the desktop icon links to, then paste that (full
path) into a commandline with -version. That should give some clue,
hopefully.

Also, try rebooting in between de- and re-installs, if you haven't.

Roedy Green

Could you have a JVM from a different vendor that is a bully?

Check the executable the desktop icon links to, then paste that (full
path) into a commandline with -version. That should give some clue,
hopefully.

Also, try rebooting in between de- and re-installs, if you haven't.

just Sun, just JDK 1.6.0_04.

The desktop links invoke javaws.exe with a cache entry. That is
definitely a place to dig.

I think I rebooted, but just in case I will try again. thank you. I
have been baffled by this one, since it USED to work, and I can't
think of anything I changed that would be relevant.

Sabine Dinis Blochberger

Roedy said:
i tried an elaborate reinstall following the instructions at
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jdk.html#FAILED

no joy. same behaviour. Presumably the trouble
must be somewhere in windows.
Yeah, it's a major peeve I have with MS Windows systems, no two
installations of the same OS behave the same!

Your problem really is a doozie. Do the java executables work in a
command line? Double check the environment settings.

Other things you can try is a checkdisk and defrag.

Roedy Green

Your problem really is a doozie. Do the java executables work in a
command line? Double check the environment settings.

I can launch the JAWS apps fine in several ways:
- in a browser
- with an JNLP icon shortcut
- within Javaws.exe

Just not via the shortcuts javaws creates on the desktop that point
into the cache.

It somehow thinks Java is not installed.

I can't figure out what possibly could be different before and after.
It USED to work. The only thing I can think of is some Vista update.