jEdit: compiles JDK 1.5.0 ok, but runs JDK 1.4.1 (why?)

Thomas G. Marshall

Hi, I have jEdit (ver 4.2pre15) configured to use

C:\jdk1.5.0\bin\javac

for compiling, but I see no place where I can tell it to execute with

C:\jdk1.5.0\bin\java

unless I hand type it all out in the console plugin. It seems to default to
my /prior/ 1.4.1 jre installation's java.exe (not my prior jedit
installation, since I've never installed it before):

C:\Programs\jdk1.4.1_02\bin\java

When I ask the console plugin for what the current path is, I get this
prepended to the path:

C:\Programs\jdk1.4.1_02\bin;

(...) And this is not showing up in my user path verified both through a
"dos window" and from the control panel->System->Advanced->environment
variables. I'm on windows XP pro.

What's going on? How do I /execute/ on jdk1.5.0 by default?

Jim Sculley

Thomas said:
Hi, I have jEdit (ver 4.2pre15) configured to use

C:\jdk1.5.0\bin\javac

for compiling, but I see no place where I can tell it to execute with

C:\jdk1.5.0\bin\java

unless I hand type it all out in the console plugin. It seems to default to
my /prior/ 1.4.1 jre installation's java.exe (not my prior jedit
installation, since I've never installed it before):

C:\Programs\jdk1.4.1_02\bin\java

When I ask the console plugin for what the current path is, I get this
prepended to the path:

C:\Programs\jdk1.4.1_02\bin;

(...) And this is not showing up in my user path verified both through a
"dos window" and from the control panel->System->Advanced->environment
variables. I'm on windows XP pro.

What's going on? How do I /execute/ on jdk1.5.0 by default?

I think 'Start...Programs...jEdit...Set jEdit Parameters' will take you
to the place to change the Java runtime being used.

Jim S.

Thomas G. Marshall

Ike said:
Can you step through code in JEdit? Set breakpoints? -Ike

There is no such option in Start->Programs->jEdit. The only two programs
there are

jEdit
and
Uninstall jEdit

And I can find no similar option anywhere within jEdit itself. Are you
using jEdit 4.2pre15? Is this a less-reliable pre-release or something?

Thanks!

John M. Gamble

There is no such option in Start->Programs->jEdit. The only two programs
there are

jEdit
and
Uninstall jEdit

And I can find no similar option anywhere within jEdit itself. Are you
using jEdit 4.2pre15? Is this a less-reliable pre-release or something?

Can't speak for Jim Scully, but 'Set JEdit Parameters' is present in
my JEdit folder. I'm using 4.1final. Either 4.2pre15 is doing it
differently (maybe an option in JEdit itself?) or maybe ... did you
perform a custom install? Maybe you skipped a feature that you
thought was unimportant? Just wildly guessing at this point.

Thomas G. Marshall

John M. Gamble said:
Thomas G. Marshall
---[rip]---
There is no such option in Start->Programs->jEdit. The only two
programs there are

jEdit
and
Uninstall jEdit

And I can find no similar option anywhere within jEdit itself. Are
you
using jEdit 4.2pre15? Is this a less-reliable pre-release or
something?

Can't speak for Jim Scully, but 'Set JEdit Parameters' is present in
my JEdit folder. I'm using 4.1final. Either 4.2pre15 is doing it
differently (maybe an option in JEdit itself?) or maybe ... did you
perform a custom install? Maybe you skipped a feature that you
thought was unimportant? Just wildly guessing at this point.

No, did a "full install". Did it again to make sure. Same thing. So I
went back and downloaded your 4.1final. It actually /has/ the "Set jEdit
Parameters" entry in the jEdit folder. But now it kicks out an error
whenever I try to download the 4.1 pluggins I need.

Go figger. It's probably just that the website is down when I tried it.
I'll try again later.

In any case, the Cheetah mod for Eclipse seems to be getting some good
reactions to folks. Maybe I'll have to {sigh} try that one now too.

Netbeans also seems like it's going to be 1.5 compliant, but just isn't yet.
And the Sun One IDE thing is expensive. Stupidly so, since it seems that
others do more for less.