jsp page design problem.

gk

i have a jsp page design problem.

i have uploaded the problem with image herehttp://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dc83hzcs_288zw84qk

and tried to explain the problem as simple as i can.

can you please help ?

any response ?

Chris

Arne said:
You need some AJAX stuff that can update the bottom when
you select options at the top.

You can either use some JavaScript directly or find
an AJAX taglib for JSP.

If he's willing to reload the page when the user clicks go, then no ajax
required.

Enclose your <select> tags in a form. Name the first one "department".
Make the go button an <input type="submit"> tag. At the top of your
page, add a snippet of java:

<%

String department = request.getParameter("department");
if (department == null) {
// select the entire table here
} else {
// select the table where the dept field = the department param
}

// deal with section here

%>

gk

If he's willing to reload the page when the user clicks go, then no ajax
required.

Enclose your <select> tags in a form. Name the first one "department".
Make the go button an <input type="submit"> tag. At the top of your
page, add a snippet of java:

<%

String department = request.getParameter("department");
if (department == null) {
// select the entire table here} else {

// select the table where the dept field = the department param

}

// deal with section here

%>

thanks for the reply.

but i need something different.
complete flow is like this .

i am giving cases here.

(1) select [none] + select [none] ---->go ---> Shows All records

(2)select [ value1] + select[none] --->go ---->shows only those
records which has the match with value1

(3)select [ none] + select[value 2] --->go ---->shows only those
records which has the match with value2

I already have written the code and it became complex . i used
session ...and some how things has been messed up.

so, looking for a better suggestion in terms of logic .

i need a better logic.

i used so many if-else's but unfortunately at the run time these four
cases are not satisfied properly.

Anyway, can you tell me some proper logic as i am revisiting /
reviewing my code.

thanks

Lew

complete flow is like this .

i am giving cases here.

(1) select [none] + select [none] ---->go ---> Shows All records

(2)select [ value1] + select[none] --->go ---->shows only those
records which has the match with value1

(3)select [ none] + select[value 2] --->go ---->shows only those
records which has the match with value2

I already have written the code and it became complex . i used
session ...and some how things has been messed up.

so, looking for a better suggestion in terms of logic .

i need a better logic.

i used so many if-else's but unfortunately at the run time these four
cases are not satisfied properly.

Anyway, can you tell me some proper logic as i am revisiting /
reviewing my code.

With JSTL or JSF one can dynamically include what one needs on a JSP.

When the triggering JSP form is submitted, i.e., when the request submits the
values (or lack thereof) to drive the lookup, it gets submitted to a servlet.

That servlet invokes a bean (or other class) that performs or skips the lookup
as required. The results are stored in a result object. The servlet puts
that object into the request as an attribute.

The servlet forwards to the JSP of interest.

The JSP builds its table dynamically based on the contents of the result
request attribute.

Arne Vajhøj

gk said:
but i need something different.
complete flow is like this .

i am giving cases here.

(1) select [none] + select [none] ---->go ---> Shows All records

(2)select [ value1] + select[none] --->go ---->shows only those
records which has the match with value1

(3)select [ none] + select[value 2] --->go ---->shows only those
records which has the match with value2

I already have written the code and it became complex . i used
session ...and some how things has been messed up.

so, looking for a better suggestion in terms of logic .
i need a better logic.

i used so many if-else's but unfortunately at the run time these four
cases are not satisfied properly.

Anyway, can you tell me some proper logic as i am revisiting /
reviewing my code.

There is nothing wrong with the business logic you have posted.

There may be something wrong with your code logic, but since
you have not posted any code, then we have no way of telling.

Arne