Language summit notes

Steven D'Aprano

Today in Montreal Canada, there was a Language Summit to discuss the
future of Python. Some highlights:

PyPy is only three bug fixes away from shipping support for Python 3.2!

Guido confirms that easing the transition from 2.x to 3.x code is a major
priority. Version 2.7 is alive and in good health and not ready to be
retired yet, but he's still against releasing a version 2.8.

Both IronPython and Jython hope to support Python 3 soon, Jython is being
held back by a lack of contributors.

Packaging is hard. Very hard. There is a lot of work going on to try to
improve packaging.

After five years experience in managing the transition between 2 and 3,
the official recommendation is now the opposite of what it was five years
ago: write a single code-base aimed at both 2 and 3, rather than trying
to automate translation via 2to3 or other tools.

There is a lot of interest for optional type checking.

More in this email thread here:

https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2014-April/133873.html

Mark Lawrence

Please don't bait JMF. Writing a post for the sole purpose of getting a
reaction from others is the definition of trolling.

If you wish to interpret my words as baiting that's fine by me. From my
perspective I'm simply making a statement of fact.

Chris Angelico

If you wish to interpret my words as baiting that's fine by me. From my
perspective I'm simply making a statement of fact.

It's almost now debatable whether you were metabaiting Steven into
telling you off for trolling the resident troll...

The time when we could have sane threads started by a jmf post about
Unicode is now over. His posts no longer have false claims that crave
rebuttal, so I advise completely ignoring them, and him, until such
time as he makes a point worthy of a response.

ChrisA

Mark Lawrence

It's almost now debatable whether you were metabaiting Steven into
telling you off for trolling the resident troll...

The time when we could have sane threads started by a jmf post about
Unicode is now over. His posts no longer have false claims that crave
rebuttal, so I advise completely ignoring them, and him, until such
time as he makes a point worthy of a response.

ChrisA

I have no further comment to make, regardless of who says what.

wxjmfauth

------

Regarding the Flexible String Representation, I have always
been very coherent in the examples I gave (usually with and/or
from an interactive intepreter - not relevant).
I never seen once somebody pointing or beeing able to point
what is wrong in those examples.

jmf

Ned Batchelder

------

Regarding the Flexible String Representation, I have always
been very coherent in the examples I gave (usually with and/or
from an interactive intepreter - not relevant).
I never seen once somebody pointing or beeing able to point
what is wrong in those examples.

We aren't going to engage in this topic. The previous discussions have
always ended the same way. You should refer to those threads if you want
to re-acquaint yourself with other people's views on your theory and
discourse.

--Ned.

wxjmfauth

Le samedi 12 avril 2014 14:53:15 UTC+2, Ned Batchelder a écrit :
We aren't going to engage in this topic. The previous discussions have

always ended the same way. You should refer to those threads if you want

to re-acquaint yourself with other people's views on your theory and

discourse.

--Ned.

May I recall again, I mainly "pointed" facts, examples, ...
I can almost count on the fingers of one of my hands, the number
of users/posters, who tried to reproduce the examples I gave!
In fact, that's you (plural), who are dicussing (my examples).

jmf

Rustom Mody

------

Regarding the Flexible String Representation, I have always
been very coherent in the examples I gave (usually with and/or
from an interactive intepreter - not relevant).
I never seen once somebody pointing or beeing able to point
what is wrong in those examples.

Unicode: I am ignorant and interested. Clearly you know more than me (and
perhaps many others here) and we could learn from you.

FSR and efficiency: I am barely interested. As is the case for most python users
[If efficiency is one's primary consideration one should not be using python]

Coherent: I dont know what that word means to you. To me it means acting in a
way that eases and smoothens communication.
Now if one look at this post of yours and most others one finds:
- Poor or completely missing attribution
- Or large quotes with google-groups unfortunate double-line spacing

Does 'coherent' mean something different in French?
[This question may sound sarcastic but is at least part serious/genuine]

As for unicode I dont think Ive much more to say than Ive said here if you
insist on remaining stuck on the FSR.

However do please adjust your posting style to become more acceptable/coherent
by reading https://wiki.python.org/moin/GoogleGroupsPython

Terry Reedy

Everyone, please ignore Jim's unicode/fsr trolling, which started in
July 2012. Don't quote it, don't try to answer it.

wxjmfauth

-----

Unicode <== Coding of the characters (all schemes) <== math.

For those who are interested in that field, I recommand to
try to understand why we (the world) have to live with
all these coding schemes.

jmf

wxjmfauth

Le dimanche 13 avril 2014 22:13:36 UTC+2, Terry Reedy a écrit :
Everyone, please ignore Jim's unicode/fsr trolling, which started in

July 2012. Don't quote it, don't try to answer it.

-------

FYI:
I was waiting for the final 3.4 release.
I'm only now maintaining interactive interpreters
(with an "s") to toy with unicode (and the coding
of characters) and some other tasks.

Python succeeded to become some kind of an "anti
unicode" tool (in the math sense, "antisymmetric, non
symmetric, symmetric"). Very interesting.

jmf