Large File upload question

Ron Vecchi

When posting a file upload I have taken in consideration the
maxRequestLength and set it accordingly. In my case where a posibility of a
30 meg file can be uploaded I set it to 30720.

Although its hard to test since I'm developing locally I am a little worried
about the time it might take to post this 30 mb file if the person is on
dialup. (worst case scenario) Is there anything that would timeout on me.
I have looked into executionTimeout in the web.config but this seems to
apply to the actuall processing time of aspnet and not the time a file takes
to be posted. To test I set it to two seconds and the file being uploaded
locally took about 15 seconds. So setting this attribute did nothing as for
the time the fileupload took to be posted.

Is there nothing to worry about when the file is being uploaded to the
server as far as timeing out is concerned. Let's say it takes 2 hours to
upload, will this happen without a timout?

Thanks

Jacob Yang [MSFT]

Hi Ron,

Based on my research and experience, the following knowledge base article
is useful to you. Please refer to it carefully

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;295626
PRB: Cannot Upload Large Files When You Use the HtmlInputFile Server Control

It states that:

"...
Theoretically, the maximum file upload size is fairly large. However,
because of ASP.NET health monitoring, you cannot upload very large files in
ASP.NET. The ASP.NET worker process has a virtual address space of 2
gigabytes (GB). However, the ASP.NET worker process only uses a little more
than 1 GB because of health monitoring and memory fragmentation.
Note:
You can upload files that are larger than 100 MB in ASP.NET. However,
Microsoft recommends that you follow the maximum file upload sizes that are
mentioned in this article. To determine more precise file sizes, perform
stress testing on computers that are similar to the ones that will be used
in production.
..."

I hope it helps.

Best regards,