LARGE file upload components/controls/add-ons?

darrel

I briefly researched this a year or so ago for a project that never
materialized, but now I'm in the midst of one and need to look into this a
bit more.

I'm working on a site where the client want people to be able to upload
files up to 50mb in size via the web site. It's a contact form. Form
information is emailed, file is uploaded to server, and client can then
click on a link to go download the file that was uploaded.

Due to the size of these, I'm thinking a standard file upload control isn't
going to work and that I should invest in a more robust option that includes
the ability to 'tickle' the server to keep the connection open as well as
providing some sort of status/progress bar for the person uploading the
large file.

Any particular product anyone would recommend? It's a VB.net 1.1 web app,
btw.

-Darrel

Scott Roberts

darrel said:
[...]

We use the Telerik upload control (as well as their other controls) and it
does fine for files that size. It does *not* load the entire file into
server memory (like the standard FileUpload) and provides progress bars too.

darrel

We use the Telerik upload control (as well as their other controls) and it
does fine for files that size. It does *not* load the entire file into
server memory (like the standard FileUpload) and provides progress bars
too.

Sounds like what I need.

In general, is it safe to say one should invest in this type of option for
anything over a couple megs in size?

-Darrel

Scott Roberts

darrel said:
Sounds like what I need.

In general, is it safe to say one should invest in this type of option for
anything over a couple megs in size?

It's difficult to generalize such a thing. If you are developing an intranet
app that will be run exclusively over a LAN, then you probably don't need a
progress bar for a 2MB file. On the other hand, if you expect users to be
connected over dial-up, then you'd probably want a progress bar for even the
smallest of file uploads.