'simple' progress bar file upload components?

darrel

I have a web form where people can/will be attaching rather large files via
a file upload field.

I'd like to provide a progress bar and the easiest way to accomplish that
seems to be to integrate with an off-the-shelf component that can handle
that via javascript/AJAX or Flash.

I've looked at Telerik's and that looks great, but is actually overkill, so
if there's something more basic that's even easier to integrate, that would
be great.

Ideally, it'd be VB.net 1.1 centric, as the app I need to add it to is based
on that.

Any suggestions?

The only feature I really need from the component is to 'intercept' the form
submission to provide a progress bar for the end user as everything is
uploading so they don't exit the process.

-Darrel

Darrel

I'd like to provide a progress bar and the easiest way to accomplish that
seems to be to integrate with an off-the-shelf component that can handle
that via javascript/AJAX or Flash.

Answering my own question:

Well, since I'm using 1.1, I've learned that there's the inherint problem
with the 1.1 framework, by default, not streaming the file being upload to
the filesystem and instead hogging server memory. So, that ultimately led me
to Dean's open source product neatupload:

http://www.brettle.com/

There might be better options for the 2.0 framework, but I have to say this
is a great bit of software for 1.1 and it was surprisingly easy to get
working (especially given that Dean seems so willing to help out).

The config is the hardest part (mainly typos I had ;o) but once it's added,
it's pretty slick. Drag the file upload fields, drag the progress bar, and
you're up and running.

-Darrel