Large Web Service ... How to Organize?

Guest

Hi all,

I'm in the process of designing a large web service which will be a remote
API into our application. There web service will cover ~10 components and
will have >100 functions.

Does anyone have any links to some design patterns I can use?

Should I put all my functions into one ASMX file? Or should I use separate
ASMX files?

Should I create a a single function and submit a document for processing?
Or a DTO? Or create a single function for each action I need?

These are the type of questions I have... any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Lars

Hi
Put your business logic into class libraries, which are called by the
WebMethods in your ASMX codebehind page.

Make as little as possible of the code in the js or vb pages for the aspx
files.

Make mulit level of the site. For example.

User interface (This part should generaly only have to deal with design of
the page not data or text)

Collect data from the Data interface. (Get the controlls from the UI and
fill them with data)
Write the information in plain HTML or XML and let the UI deside how to show
it.
| (Database independant information)
Database Interface (collect the data from the stored procedures)
| (No SQL commands only calls to Stored Procedures)
Stored Procedures (within the database)
| (SQL commands to the database)

Now when you need to change the apperance of the page only swap the UI.
If you wan to change the database you only have to replace the lowest two
layers.

Guest

Put your business logic into class libraries, which are called by the
WebMethods in your ASMX codebehind page.

That doesn't really answer my question - so I should have one big ASMX page
with all my web service functions?

Guest

Hi

Make as little as possible of the code in the js or vb pages for the
aspx files.

Make mulit level of the site. For example.

I'm building a web service not a web site ;-)