Learning Jython?

Matt Bitten

Hi, all. I'm in a situation where I need to be writing a bunch of
quick-y (hopefully) self-contained programs that anyone can run from a
web page. Java applets are the obvious way to do this. However, I
don't know much Java, and, frankly, right now I don't feel much like
learning it. I *am* pretty good at Python, however.

It looks like Jython is for me. That said, I have two questions:

(1) Am I thinking straight here? Or is there some other solution that
a knows-Python-but-not-Java programmer might use?

(2) Assuming that I'm going with Jython, it looks like I'm not going
to be able to come up with any kind of GUI without learning the Java
libraries. Can someone point me to a tutorial for Everything I've
found are like, "You know the Java libraries forwards and backwards;
now learn to call them in Python." That's not what I need.

-- Matt

Paul Rubin

Matt Bitten said:
It looks like Jython is for me. That said, I have two questions:
(1) Am I thinking straight here? Or is there some other solution that
a knows-Python-but-not-Java programmer might use?

You are thinking of embedding Jython in a web applet? Probably not
such a great idea, due to its size.

Benjamin

You could convert to the whole world to using the Grail (http://
grail.sourceforge.net), which can run Python applets, but Java applets
with Jython are probably the second best option. The java.awt.Applet
class isn't that bad. For simple applets, it's probably the only one
you'll need. After all, Jython makes Java classes look like Python.
Good Luck!
You are thinking of embedding Jython in a web applet? Probably not
such a great idea, due to its size.
Ah, but Jython compiles Python to Java bytecode so browsers will run
it. However, it is true, that you'd have to include all of the
standard library modules you used.