Learning more about "The Python Way"

Discussion in 'Python' started by Kalle Anke, Jun 12, 2005.

  1. Kalle Anke

    Kalle Anke Guest

    Those who have read my posts today have probably understood that I'm
    not a "true" Python programmer ... but I want to learn more (I think
    that Python is rather fun).

    I've read "Learning Python" pretty thoroughly, I've looked at some of
    the tutorials, some of online documentation, etc. But I still miss a
    lot of pieces for writing good python code, idioms, advanced
    usage/features, etc.

    I've also seen a lot of references to v3, but I haven't found any
    real documentation of what's planned for that version.

    So, I'm looking for advice/information on:

    + How to write "proper" python code instead of
    Java/Perl/C/C++/Pascal/Modula-2/etc inspired code

    + The more advanced parts/uses of Python

    + Discussions about the ideas behind different Python
    constructs

    + What's going to happen with v3

    I would really appriciate some pointers to where I can find info
    about this. Web sites (I've looked at python.org but haven't manage
    to find the stuff of what I'm looking for ... but perhaps I've missed
    all the interesting parts) ? Books (I've got 'Learning Python' and
    'Programming Python')? Other things?

    jem

    Kalle Anke, Jun 12, 2005

  2. Kalle Anke

    Jarek Zgoda Guest

    Kalle Anke napisa³(a):
    Just follow the white rabbit.

    Rewrite your code in Python, then optimize.

    Jarek Zgoda, Jun 12, 2005

  3. Just follow the white rabbit.
    This triggers in me the temptation to start
    a thread asking:

    What (in your opinion) can a good programmer
    learn from watching all of the Matrix movies?
    Which part, one, two or three deals most with
    the philosophy of programming?

    Claudio

    Claudio Grondi, Jun 13, 2005
  4. For all these, do yourself a favor and buy/borrow/steal a copy of the
    python cookbook, 2nd edition. You'll get over 300 recipes, ranging from
    simple one-liners to full working programs, packed with pythonic idioms
    and extensive discussion for every single recipe.
    Google is your friend; search for "python 3000" (interestingly,
    searching for "python 3" returns something completely different :)).

    George

    George Sakkis, Jun 13, 2005

  5. IMO, in my opinion almost certainly the first.

    The first can be summed up in the words, "free your mind." From my very
    limited experience, that captures 90% of the Zen right there.

    The second... uh... "dancing rave orgies are fun?" Doesn't quite work.

    The third is entirely inappropriate, since it's rather hard to program
    in Python after one has gouged one's eyes out with a rusty spoon.

    Christopher Subich, Jun 13, 2005
  6. latest edition of the Python Cookbook (read a review here
    http://www.techbookreport.com/tbr0163.html). Also online at ActiveState.

    TechBookReport, Jun 13, 2005
  7. Kalle Anke

    Jim Guest