learning ruby from you?

Simon Schuster

I've got an impressively spotty understanding of ruby, linux,
programming in general, and math/logic, but have a project or two in
mind that are just taking too long for me to make headway with on my
own. I would like to buy some lessons via AIM/email paid with paypal to
use ruby to actualize some of these things and help me learn ruby in
the process. healthcare doesn't pay like flipping burgers,
surprisingly, so I can't offer any kind of IT going rate. this
situation would be ideal for someone(s) gearing up for
teaching, or learning hobbyists like myself (teaching is maybe the best
way to learn!), or for someone wanting to learn the basics of modern
hebrew, which is another of my autodidactic hack-of-all-trades
interests, and probably my most powerful area (about 3 years of
on-and-off learning).. this last would be the most ideal trade, for me
(see above re: $). also I'm just fun to talk to.

projects abstractly: making (in general) and utilizing fonts within ruby, web
automation, making a file-sharing AIM bot, nanobrews, specifics after
talking some, aim/yahoo=awhilewhileaway thank you!

Dan Zwell

Simon said:
[...]

Getting paid help might be hard, because that requires commitment. (You
might get even get a better response if you didn't offer to pay!) But
this list is excellent for questions. If you ask them well, you are very
likely to get useful responses quickly.

If you get no offers from potential tutors, maybe you should just start
your projects. I have always found that's the best way to learn (besides
teaching, like you mentioned). Ask for help on this list with something
more specific when it comes up. You can ask for help often. And if your
goals turn out to be too much, you will still learn.

You should also look for a Ruby users group and a Linux users group in
your area. There you can be around people that will have lots of good
input. You can bounce your ideas off this list, too (the Ruby ones, at
least), but face to face is often nicer if you can get it.

Good luck,
Dan

Robert Dober

Getting paid help might be hard, because that requires commitment. (You
might get even get a better response if you didn't offer to pay!) But
this list is excellent for questions. If you ask them well, you are very
likely to get useful responses quickly.
Which is more, by following Dan's advice invest (part of) the saved
money into some good books, Programming Ruby II by the pragmatic
programmers would be my choice.
http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/ruby/index.html
Discussing any problems you have with understanding this book on this
list will be productive, believe me, that has been done before :).

Cheers and yes welcome to the WWoR (Wonderful World of Ruby)
Robert

Simon Schuster

I will definitely start posting my questions here! thanks! I've
started going through the pragmatic programmer's guide and it's great

Ilan Berci

SonOfLilit said:
Hello,

I won't be available in the next two weeks because of boot camp, but
later I'd be glad to.

I'm a native hebrew speaker, btw.

My Ruby is much better than my Hebrew so if anyone can find me an open
source project that utilizes a Ruby DSL approach to churning out Hebrew,
it would be much appreciated. Barring that, I will settle for Yedish

ilan

SonOfLilit

My Ruby is much better than my Hebrew so if anyone can find me an open
source project that utilizes a Ruby DSL approach to churning out Hebrew,
it would be much appreciated. Barring that, I will settle for Yedish

ilan

What do you mean by that? How, for example, would an analogue for English work?

Aur