Legally correct way of copying stdlib module?

Leif K-Brooks

I'm writing a package where I need to use the uuid module.
Unfortunately, that module is only available in Python 2.5, and my
package needs to be compatible with 2.4. I'm planning to copy it from
Python 2.5's stdlib into my package, and import it like this:

try:
import uuid
except ImportError:
from mypackage import _uuid as uuid

However, I'm concerned about how to do this in a legal way. uuid.py is
presumably released under the Python license, but the file itself
includes no mention of this. Should I copy the Python license as a
comment into my _uuid.py? Do I need a copyright statement too (and if
so, how do I know who owns the copyright to that particular module)?