Links and status-area

xxx

When a user holds the mouse over a link, the link address appears at the
button of the screen (left hand corner). I dont want the link to appear
there, is there someway i can disable this or even better place a text there
myself.

Another thing, is it possble to when a user holds the mouse over a link that
a text field appear next to the mouse-pointer that might say something about
the link, just a small help sentence, think it's call tooltip or something
in visual basic.

Appreciate any help :)

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

xxx pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:
When a user holds the mouse over a link, the link address appears at the
button of the screen (left hand corner). I dont want the link to appear
there, is there someway i can disable this or even better place a text there
myself.

Why do you want to do that? What evil place are you going to take me that
you need to conceal it from me before I click? A porn site?

Andrew Davidson

xxx said:
When a user holds the mouse over a link, the link address appears at the
button of the screen (left hand corner).

That's the status bar / status message. It's there to help the user.
I dont want the link to appear
there, is there someway i can disable this or even better place a text there
myself.

Yes, but (see above) you would be removing something that helps the user. Why
would you want to do that?
Another thing, is it possble to when a user holds the mouse over a link that
a text field appear next to the mouse-pointer that might say something about
the link, just a small help sentence, think it's call tooltip or something
in visual basic.

Yes, but why would you want to take away some useful text and then re-engineer
it somewhere else? Are you aiming to annoy your users?
Appreciate any help :)

Give up these ideas - that's the best help I can give you right now.

xxx

Andrew Davidson said:
That's the status bar / status message. It's there to help the user.

Yes, but (see above) you would be removing something that helps the user. Why
would you want to do that?
It was actually more out of curiosity that I was asking. Was thinking about
placing the name of the site now there instead of the link but I guess I'll
scratch that I idea.

Yes, but why would you want to take away some useful text and then re-engineer
it somewhere else? Are you aiming to annoy your users?

Give up these ideas - that's the best help I can give you right now.
Think you missunderstood me. I'd like to add a informative text when the
user holds the mouse-poiner over a link and not the url which at times can
be very un-informative.

xxx

Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
xxx pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:

Why do you want to do that? What evil place are you going to take me that
you need to conceal it from me before I click? A porn site?

<a title="just a small help sentence" href="otherpage.html">My link</a>
Thanks :)

Nico Schuyt

xxx said:
When a user holds the mouse over a link, the link address appears at
the button of the screen (left hand corner). I dont want the link to
appear there, is there someway i can disable this or even better
place a text there myself.

Another thing, is it possble to when a user holds the mouse over a
link that a text field appear next to the mouse-pointer that might
say something about the link, just a small help sentence, think it's
call tooltip or something in visual basic.

Before you ask: Do a search in Google.
In this case look for: "html links" and "hide link address" First or second
hit wil do.
Nico

David Dorward

That's what the said:
Think you missunderstood me. I'd like to add a informative text when the
user holds the mouse-poiner over a link and not the url which at times can
be very un-informative.

I would hope that the content of the anchor element (<a>this bit here</a>)
would be enough to give the user enough of a clue as to the destination.
However, check out the title attribute as a means to give advisory
information about an element.