ListView control

Brian Gaze

I have created a ListView control and have bound this to a datasource.
Within the ItemTemplate of the ListView I have added another ListViewControl
which is databound in the code behind. The idea is that when clicking on the
"Show details" button the ListView for the appropriate row binds in the
codebehind and displays the detail data for the selected row. I did
something similar with a gridview control previously, but want to be able to
fully control the HTML produced now so don't want to go down that route.

The problem I am having is that the master ListView renders with the correct
data, but the embedded details ListView does not display at all. If I pull
the details ListView out of the master ListView and create seperately it
does render correctly. Is the problem being caused because the master
ListView is rendering before the details ListView is generated? Any help
appreciated.

Regards

Brian

Here's the code......

I'm trying to bind the details ListView in the SelectedIndexChanged event
of the master ListView, with something like this in the codebehind:

ListView tmp = new ListView();
tmp = (ListView)this.ListView1.Items[rowcount].FindControl("lvDetails");
tmp.DataSourceID = "ods1";
tmp.DataBind();

The declarative code is...

<ItemTemplate>
<asp:LinkButton ID="LinkButton1" runat="server"
CausesValidation="False" CommandName="Select"
Text="Show details"
OnClick="LinkButton1_Click"></asp:LinkButton>
<asp:LinkButton ID="LinkButton2" runat="server"
CausesValidation="False" CommandName="Cancel"
Text="Hide details"></asp:LinkButton>
<asp:Label ID="Label10" runat="server" Text='<%#
Eval("[Field1]") + "kmh" %>'></asp:Label>
<asp:Label ID="Label9" runat="server" Text='<%#
Eval("Field2") + "mB"%>'></asp:Label>
<asp:ListView ID="lvDetails" runat="server"
EnableViewState="false">
<LayoutTemplate>
<ul>
<asp:placeHolder ID="itemPlaceholder"
runat="server"></asp:placeHolder>
</ul>
</LayoutTemplate>
<ItemTemplate>
<li>
<%# Eval("[Wind speed]")%>
<%# Eval("[Temperature]")%>
</li>
</ItemTemplate>
</asp:ListView>

</ItemTemplate>

Eliyahu Goldin

The line
ListView tmp = new ListView();
is not needed. You are creating an instance of ListView and the next line is
going to override the reference to this instance with the one already
defined in the template. But that is not the reason for your problem.

In declarative databinding you need to run Select on the datasource to get
the data programmatically. Without this, tmp.Databind() won't help since it
will bind to an empty datasource. Replace
tmp.DataBind();
with
ods1.Select()
and see if it works.

--
Eliyahu Goldin,
Software Developer

Brian Gaze said:
[...]

Thanks - that resolves the problem I was having with sub ListView not
rendering, but introduces another issue. A sub ListView (with the same data
in each case) is rendered for each item returned in the master ListView.
What I'm trying to do is only render a sub ListView for the item currently
selected in the master ListView.

Any ideas?

Brian

Brian Gaze said:
[...]

Why is it rendered for each item? Don't you handle the SelectedIndexChanged
event? In any case, since you are already in code-behind, you can code any
logic as when to populate the sub listview.

--

Brian Gaze said:
[...]

Thanks. The easiest solution for me was to add the sub ListView
declaratively in the SelectedItemtemplate.

Brian