ListView with internal records

Jakob Lithner

I would like to have a webpage with a list of items for the user to send for
processing.

When the user enters the page I usually would like to enter a couple of
default items. Then it should be possible to edit, delete and insert items to
the list.
After all editing is ready, the list can be sent for processing.

I found out the ListView control looked like a great candidate. I added a
ListView and configured a corresponding ObjectDataSource. The
ObjectDataSource calls a handler class that creates the default entities. It
works fine so far.

But when I want to configure the Update, Delete and Insert commands I am
stuck. All examples are related to items being stored in database between
each call. But I don't want to store anything in database until the final
list is submitted.

Is this possible? Can I have a grid with records only "stored internally in
viewstate" and still allow editing?

Steven Cheng

Hi,

Regarding on your description, have you considered using a in-memory
dataset/datatable to hold the items/records you want to
manage(update/delete/insert) through the ListView(or other databound
control)? Thus, you can store the datatable/dataset either in page's
viewstate or SessionState(store in viewstate will cause the page's response
size increase much.

#Insert/Update/Delete operations on dataset
http://forums.asp.net/p/1156913/2234796.aspx#2234796

#How to bind GridView and DropDownList controls using DataTable object
http://www.devasp.net/net/articles/display/278.html

#ASP.Net Bind GridView to DataTable
http://programming.top54u.com/post/ASP-Net-Bind-GridView-to-DataTable.aspx

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

(e-mail address removed).

--------------------

Guest

[...]

Hi Jakob,

I think you can easily do this. On initial load, check viewstate and
create a new dataset if there is no data and bind the listview to the
dataset. If viewstate has already some data, retrieve the dataset from
there

if (ViewState["dSet"] != null) {

System.IO.StringReader sr = new System.IO.StringReader((string)
(ViewState["dSet"]));
dSet.ReadXml(sr);

} else {

System.IO.StringWriter sw = new System.IO.StringWriter();

// Write the DataSet to the ViewState property.
dSet.WriteXml(sw);
ViewState["dSet"] = sw.ToString();

After that you should be able to work with listview as with a
database.

Hope this helps