Login failed for user ''. The user is not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection.

eruth

There are loads of post on this, but nothing that seems to cover my
exact problem ;)

I have an ASP.Net 1.1 web application running on my local machine. I
want to connect to an SQL 2005 server running on Windows 2003.

If I use SQL authentication, all is fine and dandy. If I want to use
windows authentication it gives the above error. My SQL server is set
to allow both methods (first thing I checked) and is part of the
domain (2nd thing checked).

If I create a UDL file on the local machine and connect to the SQL
server with that, it reports that the test connection is successful,
so I took the connection string from that and used it in my
web.config, but got the above error.

Here's my connection string using SQL Authentication

"Password=RagUser;Persist Security Info=True;User ID=RagUser;Initial
Catalog=KBDL_Config;Data Source=UKBOLDEV01"

and the connection string using windows authentication

"Integrated Security=SSPI;Persist Security Info=False;Initial
Catalog=KBDL_Config;Data Source=ukboldev01"

Even adding 'Trusted Connection=True' to the windows authentication
doesn't help!

SQL 2005 has errors in it's log, it shows.

10/26/2007 16:35:54,Logon,Unknown,Login failed for user ''. The user
is not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection. [CLIENT:
192.168.41.75]
10/26/2007 16:35:54,Logon,Unknown,Error: 18452<c/> Severity: 14<c/>
State: 1.
10/26/2007 16:35:54,Logon,Unknown,SSPI handshake failed with error
code 0x8009030c while establishing a connection with integrated
security; the connection has been closed. [CLIENT: 192.168.41.75]
10/26/2007 16:35:54,Logon,Unknown,Error: 17806<c/> Severity: 20<c/>
State: 2.

I'm baffled by this, I've even tried connecting to the server using
oSQL, that was successful, but with vb.net from a web app, it fails.
There's a code snippet below

<code>
strSQL = "SELECT * FROM LOGINS WHERE Username='" & strUsername & "'
AND Password='" & strPassword & "'"

myconnection = New
SqlConnection(ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings("ConfigCon")) 'get
from web.config
myCommand = New SqlCommand(strSQL, myconnection)

Try
If (myCommand.Connection.State <> ConnectionState.Open)
Then 'check connection state
myCommand.Connection.Open() ' open connection if
needed
End If
</code>

bruce barker

if your local asp.net site is running under iis, then you need to set to
run under a domain account with access the sqlserver.

1) if you only hit the website locally just set impersonate=true in the
web config and require authenication to ntlm in iis

2) if your local box is vista or server2003 set the app pool for the
asp.net site to the desired domain account.

3) if none of above, in web.config set impersonate with a useName and
password.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)
[...]

Bruce,

To address your suggestions.

1) The problem with this solution is that once this site is deployed,
the webserver will be in the DMZ, and the SQL server on the inside of
the firewall.
2) May be possible when deployed as the live servers will both be
2003, however my development box (local pc) is XPsp2
3) I'll try this and let you know.

[...]

One final note - yes suggestion 3 did work, but on talking to the nice
security people here, I was advised that using windows authentication
might not be a good idea. So I'm going to stick with the SQL
authentication and write a series of SQL jobs that will make sure the
right users with the right permissions exist at the right time for my
web pages to connect to the database.