login/membership/roles

Les Stockton

I'm new to ASP.Net and want to take advantage of some of the new features of
Framework 2.0.
I've seen the Login controls and how it works with administration of
security, using Windows authentication. However, I'd like to write an
applicaiton that will be on the internet, which means that I need to use
Forms authentication. I'm told that I have to use user information from a
SQL Server database that already exists. Is there a way that I can set up to
use Forms authentication and make it authenticate from that table? If so,
can someone direct me to an example that does this? It seems like every
example I find is for windows authentication, or else it's in using Forms
authentication and the canned user information that .Net providers in the
server itself.
Any examples of how to use an existing database table?