Long JavaScript processes prevent animated GIFs animation

ckirchho

Hello,

I am working on some JavaScript, that amongst other things does
searches in an index. The search can take a couple of seconds, and I
would like to disable the form button that the user clicked to trigger
the search. In addition I would like an animated GIF to appear,
visualizing that a search process is ongoing.

My problem is: While the procedure that implements the search is
executed, the browser window is not refreshed. The button stays in
"down" mode, the gif freezes.

Is there some command I could insert in between my code statements
that lets the browser refresh it's window's contents?

Best regards,

Christian Kirchhoff

David Mark

Hello,

I am working on some JavaScript, that amongst other things does
searches in an index. The search can take a couple of seconds, and I
would like to disable the form button that the user clicked to trigger
the search. In addition I would like an animated GIF to appear,
visualizing that a search process is ongoing.

My problem is: While the procedure that implements the search is
executed, the browser window is not refreshed. The button stays in
"down" mode, the gif freezes.

Is there some command I could insert in between my code statements
that lets the browser refresh it's window's contents?

No. But you could use setTimeout to call the search, which would
allow the button to repaint. As for the GIF animation, you would need
to break up your search logic into a series of steps and use
setTimeout to call each in turn.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

I am working on some JavaScript, that amongst other things does
searches in an index. The search can take a couple of seconds, and I
would like to disable the form button that the user clicked to trigger
the search. In addition I would like an animated GIF to appear,
visualizing that a search process is ongoing.

My problem is: While the procedure that implements the search is
executed, the browser window is not refreshed. The button stays in
"down" mode, the gif freezes.

Is there some command I could insert in between my code statements
that lets the browser refresh it's window's contents?

I don't know any. But depending on how you "search in the index",
there might be a way that does not cause the effect you observed.

PointedEars