looking for a C++ compiler

Martin

Hello,

I am not quite sur if this topic is right here. If it is moved please leave
a note so it can be found at the new place

I am looking for a C++ compiler package.
What do I want to do?
I want to program smaller applications with GUI which communicate with
microcontroller based devices to send over configuration data or commands to
be executed by the uC or to receive data and display them on a meter or
chart or so. These programs may use small databases. Interface types are
RS232, USB ethernet, maybe CAN.
I am already experienced in this area, I work with Borland / Codegear
C++Builder 5 but this is pretty old now and I only use RS232. Now I want to
move to something new. Because getting RS232 to work with C++Builder was not
so easy, I fear that I well get stuck with USB and ethernet. Thats why I
hesitate to simply update C++Builder

First of all I would like to ask you if C++ is still the right choice today.
I was searching the web for programming tools an languages and there are so
many and C++ is not very often mentioned. On the other hand I also work with
microcontrollers and in this area everything is done with C or C++ so I
would like to have only one language.

some points of interest:
- should use object oriented prorgramming
- there should be a drag and drop IDE for the components of the GUI (like
the Borland / Codegear VCL)
- many third party components available
- also something like VCLs or libs for the various interfaces RS232, USB,
ethernet. Best for me would be if there was no need to deal with the details
of sending and receiving. I fear it is pretty hard to do this all just using
the win API (???)
- there should be a community to ask questions and get support
- it should be possible to compile for Windows and Linux (this is a future
reason)

I hope someone can take the time and send some comments

thank you very much

Martin

mse0206

[...]

Do you have a target OS in mind?

[...]

In addition to my last post...for instance, is the later target Linux,
BSD or both.

I'm assuming that you are not looking for something that provides a
layer of abstraction between the devices and the library/app you are
developing. Following, I'm also assuming that you are looking to
develop for any of the OS's based on the final complexity. For this,
I'd recommend managed C++ or C# with Visual Studio 2005 or greater.

In the end, there will be minor differences between the C++ sockets
implementation if the library/app must compile across all three OS's.
Also, devices in UNIX/Linux may be somewhat easier to work with
(depending on the focus).

mse

In addition to my last post...for instance, is the later target Linux,
BSD or both.

I'm assuming that you are not looking for something that provides a
layer of abstraction between the devices and the library/app you are
developing.  Following, I'm also assuming that you are looking to
develop for any of the OS's based on the final complexity.  For this,
I'd recommend managed C++ or C# with Visual Studio 2005 or greater.

In the end, there will be minor differences between the C++ sockets
implementation if the library/app must compile across all three OS's.
Also, devices in UNIX/Linux may be somewhat easier to work with
(depending on the focus).- Hide quoted text -

One last link that may be of interest:

http://www.embarcadero.com/