Looking for a few folks to test/discuss/design... a Java to OS/2 bridge.

Jeff Gaynor

Hi,

I have written a few native utilities to allow Java to work with the OS/2
workplace shell (actually, OS/2, alive and well, is now marketed as
eComStation. Look at http://www.ecomstation.com). I know there are a fair
number of folks who write Java under OS/2, since this is the "official" IBM
supported way of doing things.

Therefore, I would like beta testers for this (it's pretty simple really. I
wonder why nobody organized this before now) who would be willing to give
their unvarnished opinions of what else would be useful in a project like
this. So far my utility does the following:

* create, copy, move, destroy, shadow and setup objects
* register, deregister and replace WPS classes
* test if an object exists, open an object, list all known WPS classes and
their modules (DLLs).

Motivation for this is simple: OS/2 only works with C/C++ at a low level and
has some really nasty APIs (e.g. trying figuring out how to get extended
attributes from a file). Wrapping this into Java and using Java as the
general utility language is just a really good idea.

Future plans are to write utilities for

* manipulating extended attributes
* reading/writing ini files
* config.sys utilties (e.g. query/set paths).
* (if interest) a command line WPS-aware shell (in Java).
This would let you do a pretty fair amount from the command line that you
can do via the WPS

I'm looking for feedback now.

Thanks in Advance!

Jeff