Looking for a good website with free source code

johannblake

I haven't been able to find a good website that has plenty of free
source code for C. I am looking for code for doing mostly basic stuff
like string parsing, math, etc.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Johann Blake

Default User

I haven't been able to find a good website that has plenty of free
source code for C. I am looking for code for doing mostly basic stuff
like string parsing, math, etc.

Try http://snippets.org and see if it has the sorts of things you want.

Brian

Vladimir S. Oka

(e-mail address removed) opined:
I haven't been able to find a good website that has plenty of free
source code for C. I am looking for code for doing mostly basic stuff
like string parsing, math, etc.

Any suggestions?

You haven't tried hard enough.

Try: <http://www.sourceforge.net>

santosh

I haven't been able to find a good website that has plenty of free
source code for C. I am looking for code for doing mostly basic stuff
like string parsing, math, etc.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Johann Blake

<OT>
Search for 'Diet libc' on the net. It's source might give you clues as
to how to do this stuff. Or a book like 'Algorithms in C' would be
helpful too.
</OT>

johannblake

I checked out sourceforge.net. There's nothing there, at least not from
finding it from an easy location. No C source code for general purppose
applications. This website is a hodge-podge collection of everything
under the sun with no ability to search explicity for C source code.

Johann

johannblake

I checked out sourceforge.net. There's nothing there, at least not from
finding it from an easy location. No C source code for general purppose
applications. This website is a hodge-podge collection of everything
under the sun with no ability to search explicity for C source code.

Johann

johannblake

Thanks for the suggestion but that link points exclusively to
mathematical algorithms. I'm looking, as stated in my post, for general
purpose C routines that virtually every programmer would use.

Johann

johannblake

This is a pretty useless website. Having a search engine return gobs of
filenames that are based on a keyword is a waste of time for most
developers. I'm looking for a website that has source code organised
into categories (string, math, files, etc) and a brief description of
what the functions do.

Johann

Vladimir S. Oka

(e-mail address removed) opined:
I checked out sourceforge.net. There's nothing there, at least not
from finding it from an easy location. No C source code for general
purppose applications. This website is a hodge-podge collection of
everything under the sun with no ability to search explicity for C
source code.

Your posts make no sense if you do not quote context. Read:

<http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/>

BTW, there are general purpose libraries written in C to be found on
SourceForge, if one looks hard enough.

--
BR, Vladimir

There was an old lady of Bingly
Who wailed, "I do hate to sleep singly.
I thought I had got
A bloke for my twat,
But he seems rather queenly than kingly."

santosh

Thanks for the suggestion but that link points exclusively to
mathematical algorithms. I'm looking, as stated in my post, for general
purpose C routines that virtually every programmer would use.

Firstly please quote context in your post. Read the following URLs:
<http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/>

As for general purpose routines that virtually any programmer would
use, well that's what the C standard library is for. If the routines
you need aren't included, then you may have to write your own. Because
of various reasons the C standard library doesn't try to do everything
under the sun like for example the Java one. Nevertheless, C's been
widely used in the last 2 decades and thus there are freely available
libraries for doing just about anything, though finding them and making
them work for your platform may be a lot of work. Check out the Apache
Portable Runtime (APR) from http://apr.apache.org/

CBFalconer

This is a pretty useless website. Having a search engine return
gobs of filenames that are based on a keyword is a waste of time
for most developers. I'm looking for a website that has source
code organised into categories (string, math, files, etc) and a
brief description of what the functions do.

What is useless, etc. You have to include context. Google is not
usenet, it is only a poor excuse for an interface to usenet.
Readers may have never received previous articles, may never
receive them, or it may be awkward to access them. Thus articles
have to stand on their own. For means to do this even on the
broken google interface, see my sig below, and please be sure to
read the referenced URLs.

Vladimir S. Oka

santosh said:
Firstly please quote context in your post. Read the following URLs:
<http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/>

As for general purpose routines that virtually any programmer would
use, well that's what the C standard library is for. If the routines
you need aren't included, then you may have to write your own. Because
of various reasons the C standard library doesn't try to do everything
under the sun like for example the Java one. Nevertheless, C's been
widely used in the last 2 decades and thus there are freely available
libraries for doing just about anything, though finding them and making
them work for your platform may be a lot of work. Check out the Apache
Portable Runtime (APR) from http://apr.apache.org/

He probably won't. I feel he's after the *exact* match for whatever his
need is.

Sjouke Burry

I checked out sourceforge.net. There's nothing there, at least not from
finding it from an easy location. No C source code for general purppose
applications. This website is a hodge-podge collection of everything
under the sun with no ability to search explicity for C source code.

Johann
Google for "c snippets",all sorts of small
programs for several (or fun ) purposes.

Randy Howard

(e-mail address removed) wrote
(in article
Thanks for the suggestion but that link points exclusively to
mathematical algorithms. I'm looking, as stated in my post, for general
purpose C routines that virtually every programmer would use.

Ah.. In that case you need to find an open source libc
implementation.

Try the gnu website.